One eye closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kirsty 79, Jul 30, 2014.

1. kirsty 79

kirsty 79 Hatching

Jul 20, 2014
    Hi all.

I have a barred rock, a very precious member of our flock, who is well in every way except she shuts one of her eyes alot. There is no discharge or swelling. Her eyes seem ok except for the shutting thing. A few months we lost a hen to an eye infection that just wouldnt go (much money and time was spent), so i am hoping this isnt the start of something sinister. According to my daughter (7) she says she has noticed her doing it for a week or so. Any ideas?
    I am in Brisbane, Aus if that makes any difference.
    I appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks.

K

2. kirsty 79

kirsty 79 Hatching

Jul 20, 2014
    So she has started getting bubbles in the corner of her eye. Looks like a sinus infection or respiratory one. I can't get any of the recommended treatments without seeing a vet. Since this is the second outbreak in our flock of this in 3 months should I dose all of them? Anybody?

3. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chirping

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Hi :) I am fairly new to chickens but I had something similar happen to some of my birds last year. They had some sort of respiratory issue. They had bubbles in their eyes and when they breathed you could hear a burbling sound. I dosed them with oxytetracyline. If your hen is not isolated I definitely would move her. Also check that it isn't something in her eye causing the irritation. Giving electrolytes and/or vitamins when they are ill or stressed never seems to hurt :) I hope that it gets better soon :)

4. kirsty 79

kirsty 79 Hatching

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks :) I am taking her off to the vet for meds. She sounds fine so I am assuming I caught this early?

K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: