One eye covered with the nictitating membrane.

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
My favorite duck, Salsa, was running around today with one eye covered with the nictitating membrane. He would open it for a brief period and the eye looked normal. Should I be concerned?

I will guess that something is irritating the eye. Are you able to give him access to swim water or a pot of water he can dunk his head in?

I would watch for a day - if he's still like that tomorrow, I would get some mild saline solution and rinse the eye a couple times a day - is he easy to handle?

I will guess that something is irritating the eye.  Are you able to give him access to swim water or a pot of water he can dunk his head in?

I would watch for a day - if he's still like that tomorrow, I would get some mild saline solution and rinse the eye a couple times a day - is he easy to handle?

He has a 35 gallon pool during the day and a large water bowl in his night pen so he can always dunk his head. I will heed your advice and try the saline if he is still doing it tomorrow. And yes, he will let me handle him in exchange for a few mealworms.

I will guess that something is irritating the eye.  Are you able to give him access to swim water or a pot of water he can dunk his head in?

Salsa has been fighting with my other drake and reinjured his eye yesterday. I have been rinsing it with saline but today the eye looks like it has pus in it. I have some bacitracin ophthalmic ointment from when I scratched my cornea. Do you think I can use it on him?

Salsa has been fighting with my other drake and reinjured his eye yesterday. I have been rinsing it with saline but today the eye looks like it has pus in it. I have some bacitracin ophthalmic ointment from when I scratched my cornea. Do you think I can use it on him?
Sometimes infection can get ahead of us. . . at this point I think oral antibiotics are probably needed. Ideally a good duck vet would be best.

Recently someone with a Call duck needed help due to swollen cheeks from an infection.

I am not a vet, but I think if I had no help from a vet, I would use the bacitracin ointment - if I recall correctly, it has been used on waterfowl.

At the same time, if it's got pus, I would look into something that could fight the infection from the bloodstream. Head infections can be so tricky.
hugs.gif

I am not a vet, but I think if I had no help from a vet, I would use the bacitracin ointment - if I recall correctly, it has been used on waterfowl.

At the same time, if it's got pus, I would look into something that could fight the infection from the bloodstream.  Head infections can be so tricky. :hugs

Thanks! I tried to find oral antibiotics at the feed store but no luck. It isn't too bad but I don't want it to get worse so I am using the bacitracin. Appreciate your help!!

Back
Top Bottom