one eye sealed shut in 3 month old chick

siouxbee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
I just returned from 3 days away and of course ran right out to the coop to check on the girls. I'd had someone come each day to give them fresh water and food, but they'd been stuck in their coop all 3 days. It's 4 x 8, and the upstairs has the same dimensions, minus space for nest boxes.

Well, I found them all roosting on the ladder up to the coop upstairs, because the door had fallen shut. So I opened the back of the coop and let them upstairs. Only a few came up, the rest stayed down.

But I noticed our auracana has only one eye open. Could this be because they were cooped up and got to fighting? Everyone elses eyes are fine, from what I could see. Hers didn't seem bloody or anything, but that side of her head does seem to be a bit swollen... hard to tell at night and I'll take a pic tomorrow if it's still there, but what should I do about this?

Thanks for any help,
Sioux

this is really too little information to even make a guess at (I am sure you must feel the same way)... keep quiet and calm and separate so you can observe any other symptoms...if the bird appears to be shocked and not drinking give electrolytes in the waterer and adding a supplement is always good in these situations (in a pinch 4 drops of POLYVISOL in the beak for a week then taper off will o though a poultry specific vitamin mix is always preferred)

Back
Top Bottom