One eye shut help wanted!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by addisonphill, Mar 14, 2013.

1. addisonphill

addisonphill Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    My houdan Avalon has got one eye shut, it is sticky and mucky looking around her eye, I don’t know how long it has been like this as her head feathers cover her eye. I am wondering if the weight of her head feathers are pulling fore-head skin in to her eye but it is hard to tell If that is the case. Maybe it is infected. anyone seen this befor or have any suggestions?

it is not a clear photo, but this is her bad eye, all the feathers around it are mucky.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

this is her good eye for comparison ,the featers are clean.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you could post this question in the "emergencies, etc. " forum . [​IMG] Have you tried wiping the eyelid with a wet cotton ball to see if you can clean the gunk away?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! X2 the above advice. Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip and carefully wipe the eye clean. It would also help if you can trip her head feathers a bit to keep it out of her eye. I'm not in the US, so I cannot recommend any specific medicine, but ask in the Emergencies section which ointment/eye powder you can use to treat her. Good luck!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, addisonphill, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! Sorry to hear about your houdan! X3 on the advice of drumstick and best of luck to you!!

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Is it cold where you are? I like to call it Sticky Chicken Eye! It happens to mine when they get cold. Not much I do for them it usually goes away on it's own. Just keep up there immune systems! Good Luck!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. addisonphill

addisonphill Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks so much for all for the help .

I will try wiping her eye with a cotton wool thing, I don’t think be very pleased with me :) I will also clip her feathers, just hope she stays still.
    I don’t live in a very could place.

Thanks so much for making me feel welcomed to BYC.

P.S I'm also not in the US, I in NewZealand.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you are seeing some improvement - welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by