One eye swollen in 11 week pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cwils, Jun 18, 2019.

1. cwils

cwils Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Hi all!

Last night I noticed swelling above my buff's eye, no other obvious injuries or symptoms. Treated with Vetericyn in case it was due to irritation.

This morning, swelling has not gone down and is beginning below the eye. Noticed a few little bubbles in the corner of her eye - no odor, discharge, nasal discharge, or other respiratory symptoms. Acting completely normal as is the rest of the flock. I treated again with Vetericyn.

Should I continue with a wait and see approach or be more proactive and start antibiotics? Considering erythromycin ointment directly to affected eye or a course of Tylan...would like to avoid antibiotics if not necessary, but also do not want to end of with more severe issues. :(

Will get a pic as well!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    How old is she?
    Have you added to your flock recently?

Eye swelling could be from a number of things from respiratory illness to getting something (debris, seeds) in the eye. Bubbles could indication infection from Mycoplasma. It's hard to know.

I would flush the eye well with saline, look to see if there's any pus or debris in the eye, remove what you see and use the ointment. If it doesn't improve in a couple of days or gets worse/she develops more symptoms, then you may need to try treating with antibiotics. Testing is the best way to find out what is going on if symptoms worsen.

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. cwils

cwils Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Thanks so much for your reply @Wyorp Rock :)

She is 11 weeks old, no new additions to flock (all from same hatchery, some 11 weeks some 9 weeks, together since hatch dates).

I unfortunately did not flush the eye yesterday, just went straight to the ophthalmic gel. I did do a thorough check (moving up eyelid, etc.) and did not see any injuries or debris. Just now, taking a pic, I did notice what may be a slight tear in her eyelid (visible in pic) as well as more bubbles / tearing. No puss or other discharge. Could the bubbles be a result of weeping / tearing?

Our vet treats chickens so if need be I can get her in for testing / antibiotics if Tylan isn't something I should default to in this case!

Attached Files:

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with @Wyorp Rock that you may be dealing with conjunctivitis caused by mycoplasma or MG. The erythromycin eye ointment is good to use, and Terramycin eye ointment from a feed store is also good, if you run out. Use either twice a day, after cleaning any drainage. Tylan soluble powder from a vet or online, or Tylan50 injectable given orally can all be good to use for MG symptoms. Here is a link for the Tylan powder generic if you need to order it:
    https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

5. cwils

cwils Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Thank you @Eggcessive!

I know that the terramycin is available at TSC here, and would be easier to get than the erythromycin. The terramycin is acceptable to use instead? Is one treatment more effective - the ointment vs. the Tylan?

As the symptoms are only in one pullet's eye and not the entire flock, treating the one eye and observing is ok?

Sorry for all of the questions! First time dealing with potential MG and want to make sure it doesn't spread to the rest of the flock :)

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use the ointment, either one, and if symptoms persist, use the Tylan. Or just do both (that is what I would do.)

7. cwils

cwils Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Great. Thank you!

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oh, I see the tear you are talking about, I hope the swelling and bubbles is just from injury. I would flush a couple of times a day and apply your eye ointment to see if that improves.

If she worsens/develops more symptoms then I would use the Tylan50.

9. cwils

cwils Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Thanks so much! I will keep treating as I have been for another day or two then start antibiotics.

Tylan50 can be administered orally? I believe I saw 1/2 cc. Should I lower the dose since she is only 11 weeks?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Injectable Tylan50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Eggcessive and cwils like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: