One eyed banty Rooster attacked, now combs black

ducklover128

Chirping
Nov 3, 2022
Our banty rooster was attacked by the neighbors rooster, and his comb had a little blood on it, and his eye, the side where his eye is missing, was bleeding. Brought him inside and thought his comb was frostbit, but everything says it'll just be black spots...his whole comb is black. He has a little bit of dried stuff around nostril holes, and his head, behind the comb is naked. No feathers at all. He is very skiddish and we can't usually get close to him so we don't know how long his comb has been that way. The only reason I caught him this time, is because he was being attacked and he just laid there when I ran the other rooster off. The other rooster thinks he lives here, and seems like the hens like him alot, to my dismay. I don't wanna have to shoot him, but I will to protect my flock. Seems like one problem after another here lately. And after I took his pic,he bit me 😳🤷🏻‍♀️ life of a chicken mom.
16701142348462491078203183621950.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture if he's got frostbite. If it is frostbite, the other rooster could of pulled it off. Take a warm wet paper towel to clean his comb. You might need to work on cleaning it for a few minutes. If the biting is a problem, you can wear gloves so he doesn't hurt you too bad. (Keep him away from your face!) Once he's cleaned, keep an eye on him for a few days. He could go into shock, and may have lost a lot of blood (if not too much).

What breed is this rooster? The Old English Game bantam roosters will literally fight to the death. If your neighbor's rooster is bigger than yours, it's just a matter of time before it kills yours. Talk to your neighbors about their rooster and keeping it off of your property. Warn them of what you'll do if they don't keep their rooster on their property. (Be sure that you're keeping your birds on your property too!) If they do nothing, then you can take it into your own hands. (An Animal Control officer can be of assistance!)

It's hard to tell from the picture if he's got frostbite. If it is frostbite, the other rooster could of pulled it off. Take a warm wet paper towel to clean his comb. You might need to work on cleaning it for a few minutes. If the biting is a problem, you can wear gloves so he doesn't hurt you too bad. (Keep him away from your face!) Once he's cleaned, keep an eye on him for a few days. He could go into shock, and may have lost a lot of blood (if not too much).

What breed is this rooster? The Old English Game bantam roosters will literally fight to the death. If your neighbor's rooster is bigger than yours, it's just a matter of time before it kills yours. Talk to your neighbors about their rooster and keeping it off of your property. Warn them of what you'll do if they don't keep their rooster on their property. (Be sure that you're keeping your birds on your property too!) If they do nothing, then you can take it into your own hands. (An Animal Control officer can be of assistance!)
He doesn't usually bite, I think he thought I was food. He's usually very nice and mannerly, the few times I have held him. I'm not sure of his breed, we got him at a Stockdale, but everybody was buying them for food and I don't think the animals were taken very good care of. It was a horrible place and I swear it messed my head up for weeks. It was a traumatic experience for me, so I can't imagine how the animals felt. And animal control doesn't do anything way out here where we live. The neighbors rooster is about 3 times the size of this little guy. We r working on a big lot to keep our ducks and chickens in, but it's nowhere near finished. I really like the neighbors rooster, and I don't wanna hurt him. I know he's just being a rooster and not meaning to cause trouble, he's just doing what nature intended. That's why it bothers me so much.

Our banty rooster was attacked by the neighbors rooster, and his comb had a little blood on it, and his eye, the side where his eye is missing, was bleeding. Brought him inside and thought his comb was frostbit, but everything says it'll just be black spots...his whole comb is black. He has a little bit of dried stuff around nostril holes, and his head, behind the comb is naked. No feathers at all. He is very skiddish and we can't usually get close to him so we don't know how long his comb has been that way. The only reason I caught him this time, is because he was being attacked and he just laid there when I ran the other rooster off. The other rooster thinks he lives here, and seems like the hens like him alot, to my dismay. I don't wanna have to shoot him, but I will to protect my flock. Seems like one problem after another here lately. And after I took his pic,he bit me 😳🤷🏻‍♀️ life of a chicken mom.View attachment 3340254
Don't shoot the other rooster. Ask your neighbors to get him under control. The black on your rooster's comb may just be dried blood. Have you tried scrubbing his comb? How cold does it get where you live?

We only have one rooster. The other one, is the neighbors, and they were all fine at first, but now he's all hormonal and just coming of age, so all hell has broken loose. The neighbors flock all free range, all the time. One of his ducks disappeared, and the other one now lives here with us. The duck, Johnny cash, is very sweet and doesn't bother anything or anybody. His mate June Carter, just vanished, and I feel bad for him, so he can stay. The coop situation is a little crazy right now. We have been rearranging everything, trying to make it all more predator proof, so the chickens haven't been going in there, until the last couple days. They have all been sleeping under the house, which has 3 sides bricked up. But as far as the frostbite, the rooster is the only one that has a black comb. I feel like they may have been a little neglected with all the Muscovy babies in the house, and one of them getting sick, and then dying, and then another one getting sick. The struggle is real, and I'm a little overwhelmed right now. I feel terrible, and I know I should've caught the issue with scooter(our rooster) sooner. The Muscovies are moving outside today, and hopefully everyone will be ok. I'm sorry this is a rambling mess. It's kinda like my life right now. 🤔🤷🏻‍♀️. And I'm still, obviously, fairly new to chickens and ducks. The picture is the Muscovies, that have required all my attention and time for the last 7 weeks.

Attachments

• 1670191278087600813730187802838.jpg
    1670191278087600813730187802838.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 13
We only have one rooster. The other one, is the neighbors, and they were all fine at first, but now he's all hormonal and just coming of age, so all hell has broken loose. The neighbors flock all free range, all the time. One of his ducks disappeared, and the other one now lives here with us. The duck, Johnny cash, is very sweet and doesn't bother anything or anybody. His mate June Carter, just vanished, and I feel bad for him, so he can stay. The coop situation is a little crazy right now. We have been rearranging everything, trying to make it all more predator proof, so the chickens haven't been going in there, until the last couple days. They have all been sleeping under the house, which has 3 sides bricked up. But as far as the frostbite, the rooster is the only one that has a black comb. I feel like they may have been a little neglected with all the Muscovy babies in the house, and one of them getting sick, and then dying, and then another one getting sick. The struggle is real, and I'm a little overwhelmed right now. I feel terrible, and I know I should've caught the issue with scooter(our rooster) sooner. The Muscovies are moving outside today, and hopefully everyone will be ok. I'm sorry this is a rambling mess. It's kinda like my life right now. 🤔🤷🏻‍♀️. And I'm still, obviously, fairly new to chickens and ducks. The picture is the Muscovies, that have required all my attention and time for the last 7 weeks.
Have you tried scrubbing at his comb using hydrogen peroxide on a toothbrush? Sometimes my roosters would get into fights, and even if there was a small cut on their comb, the whole comb could be black with dried blood the next day. The function of the comb and wattles is to circulate blood through then and transfer it back to heart cooler. That's why some people who live in very cold climates decide to dub and crop their roosters.

I haven't scrubbed it, but it's not dried blood. It's actually black. I read if they have a heart attack or a stroke it'll turn black. Would the other rooster attacking him, cause a heart attack or stroke?

Back
Top Bottom