one eyed chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CANDLE98, Apr 15, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So one of my buff orphingtons hatched today and he only has 1 eye! and he also has a slight cross beak. what in the world happened and why was it able to get itself out of the shell?

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Sounds like you have a real fighter there. Your chick can survive but I have no idea why it hatched like this. Maybe someone with better knowledge will chime in with answers. Good luck and hope all turns out well!

3. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    Don't know either but do you know the breeding stock? Is it a small a gene pool? Were there toxins around?

4. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    I hatched a chick like that recently - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148547&p=1

I
    gave the chick away to a friend, she said at first he had a hard time as the other chicks (many) starting getting older. She seperated him from the large group, and kept a few of the calm chicks with him (he was also at least part bantam, so was always smaller than many other chicks).

Anyways, he is now outside running around with the other chicks. She says you can't tell him apart from the other chickens, and he fits right in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by