One for the good guys

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ole and Lena, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Coyote had a bad day today. Was skulking around the horse pasture scoping out my chickens.

Our horse tried to run him down and that aroused my suspicions so I grabbed the nearest rifle I could find ammo for. Was still in my truck from a shooting match Saturday (in the snow). He never saw the 155 gr BTHP from my old M1 Garand coming! Made a mess of the pelt but at least the chickens are safe. Now I'm keeping a better fur gun in the barn. Would like to at least get a good hat out of the next would-be theif.

2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Not getting a hat is bad enough, but at least you didn't catch your thumb in the action. Your pretty lucky!

3. Ole and Lena

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Never had Garand thumb. I've heard horror stories though. Loading the things is kinda like sticking your thumb in a muskrat trap. Mine sticks a bit, needs a bit of forward assist to slam 'er home. That's fine with me. Great old rifles, just not the best for shooting furbearers. Wish I still had my 17 HMR. Just can't bring myself to buy a black rifle. Loaded up some reduced vel. 150 gr partitions for it. Won't cycle the action but should punch a cleaner hole in the buggers next time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  4. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    My father was very attached to his Garand. He like to refinish WWII rifles. We'd go out and kill cans on the weekends. My grandfather told me of shooting a Japanese pilot with his. He never told my dad that story though. I don't suppose my granddad was interested in Jap hides either. Both my father and granddad have passed, so your story brought these memories up in me. Thank you.

5. Ole and Lena

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Quote:Patton called it the greatest battle implement ever devised. Still a good option for defense against man or beast. Not much will argue with 8 rounds of 'ought six. They're amazingly accurate, rugged and dependable. Put mine in my wife's Grandpa's hands at the range before he started Chemotherapy. He carried one in North Korea. Was posted about 5 miles S of the Yalu when the Chinese came across. Said he fired his until the handguard smoked and the only ammo left was for the commie guns. Then he used a captured mosin. Never had to go with the bayonet. He was one of the lucky ones, made the long march backwards, never even wounded. Tough old farmer. Said it helped being a Minnesota boy. The guys from down south suffered alot more. Still knew how to load, strip and hit targets with the Garand after 60 years.

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was able to shoot an M1 Garrand for the first time last winter during a CMP clinic. I have always wanted to shoot one, it was an awesome expierence.

Loading the things is kinda like sticking your thumb in a muskrat trap

I was using a Korean war surplus rifle that never saw action, it has not been shot very much. It really tore my sissy computer desk job hands. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by