One for the kids - and any adults needing a laugh

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kodiakchicken, Jan 20, 2009.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I've seen several threads on here asking if people get laughed at for having chickens, or if their friends think they're crazy. I think we all know people that think we're crazy (I didn't even need chickens for people to think that!) but the ones that hurt my heart are the kids who's friends and non-friends laugh and make fun of them. Nobody should be laughed at for doing something they love. So, I thought I'd share a couple things with the kids that might help them.

First, I grew up with parents that hated chickens and I was taught they were dirty, foul animals. Now I have chickens running out my ears. So, when people laugh at you for having chickens - don't think of them as mean, think of them as future converts!

And now for the big laugh.

While you kids may have chickens and love taking care of them, have any of your chickens ever made you cry? I'm not talking about when one gets sick or dies, or even when a rooster flogs you. Nope. The reason I was crying was because my rooster doesn't love me as much as I love him. Yep, you read that right! Long story short, I have a group of birds I hatched out. Five of the first seven were roos. I hadn't planned on keeping any of the roos but one of them stole my heart. He was a sweetie that would run up and want me to pick him up and rub his chest. I decided to keep him. Well, in the last week he has gotten mean and not only won't let me pet him, but bites (not pecks) my hand leaving bruises and broken skin. I'm following all the advice I can to calm him down, but I don't know if I'll still want to keep him and that made me sad. I was sitting on the couch talking to my husband about it the other night and actually started crying because Scooter (maybe that name is why he hates me?) doesn't love me as much as I love him.

So, there you go kids. Next time someone laughs at you for having chickens you can tell them you know of a grown woman in Alaska with kids of her own that cries because her rooster doesn't love her!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your roo is being a typical teen right now. Eventually they grow out of it and love their mom's again. (Works the same way with people teenagers)

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Quote:Well, that's good to know, but it still doesn't justify crying over it! Hahaha - even as understanding as my DH is, he looked at me and said "you know you're crying over a chicken, right?"

4. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    That roo sounds like he is going through the teenage stage...he sounds like my brother![​IMG] I don't have chickens yet, but I am working on convincing my parents to let me get some, and I havn't told any of my friends that I want some, because I'm afriad they will make fun of me. But, if they do, they aren't my real friend and I'll tell them about you(I won't mention that I would probably cry too...they don't need to know that:plbb)! I definately think he will grow out of it though.

5. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    Sounds like me when things go wrong. All it takes is on little thing to send me over the edge and start crying. Your not strange at all, it sounds like you may be a tille depressed though.[​IMG]

6. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    you sound like me I had some barred rocks from the time they were born october the 16th last year and dh sold them everyone to a friend of his on their birthday. I guess they all had a real good laugh at me there I was helping him load them up in his carriers crying my eyes out cause he sold my babies. You cant help but getting attatched to them you care for them clean their butts feed them nurse them when they are sick and what happens your dh gets a hair up his butt and sells your kids(chickens) but they feel like your kids. but I love my kids more the thing is my chickens can't talk back to me and they can't tell me what is hurting them just like taking care of a baby.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If my husband sold my ducks without explicit agreement from me, I would be a widow [​IMG]

8. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    calling rooster red! test test is my rooster red signal on? [​IMG] you have to fix this now! it is not a teenage thing. you need a rooster rehabilitator like rooster red!

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I cried when my Oliver went through that too. He eventually moved to a new home. I cried when we dropped him off at the new place. I hatched him here at home. When he was baby he would hop on my lap, then up to my shoulder and sometimes my head. Didn't know that meant he would try to be dominant when he was older. We kept his half brother George, who was always a little timid and not a cuddly rooster at all. George is now a model rooster who knows I'm the boss of the backyard.
    So, you're not the only one!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just got a new roo for my girls... he's got to be at least two or three years old and with experience but he's been in with them since Friday and I've never seen him even attempt to mate with one of them and there are 24! Do I need to get another roo? The thing I like about this one is, he doesn't have a loud crow... the little Delaware we had to rehome wouldn't shut up and was so loud we could hear him with the coop shut up and all of our windows closed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by