One gamefowl hen that's gone broody. As of today two new Buff Orph chicks. Put them together or no?

Aug 11, 2018
One gamefowl hen that's gone broody in my flock.

. As of today two new Buff Orph chicks in the flock, So bought them.

So. At this point, .put them together or no?

They're going to have to stay in the same coop as it is. But the chicks would be in a separate enclosure.

This gamefowl hen's not really our favorite, you know, but she's never been violent. She's just flighty and seems definitely closer to nature in some ways. I think she could raise them but my question is, do the mama hens ever get mean and destroy them? Is there an intro process? An observation process?

Ty in advance.

One gamefowl hen that's gone broody in my flock.

. As of today two new Buff Orph chicks in the flock, So bought them.

So. At this point, .put them together or no?

They're going to have to stay in the same coop as it is. But the chicks would be in a separate enclosure.

This gamefowl hen's not really our favorite, you know, but she's never been violent. She's just flighty and seems definitely closer to nature in some ways. I think she could raise them but my question is, do the mama hens ever get mean and destroy them? Is there an intro process? An observation process?

Ty in advance.
You can sneak the chicks under her at night while she's sleeping. You'll have to watch her interactions for awhile. She may, or may not adopt the Orps.

What does your hen look like if you don't mind sharing?

She's a typicxal gamefowl hen, looks like. We got her from the pound as a rescue.

She acts very different. Like a game animal. That said in the flock order she is probably 5 out of 6, or 6 out of 6.

Before going broody, she had taken to roosting somewhere. We couldn't find out where, but every day she'd be there at 5:30 a.m. This is not a ideal situation but she s the one member likely to survive this because of her genetics.

So. I don't want her to "raise" them the "wrong way" (i.e. bad ways for a buff orphington to be as opposed to her).

I just want to learn from people who've had broodies and some chicks not from the broody or hatched underneath her personally. Is there some sort of introduction procedure or something?

She's a typicxal gamefowl hen, looks like. We got her from the pound as a rescue.

She acts very different. Like a game animal. That said in the flock order she is probably 5 out of 6, or 6 out of 6.

Before going broody, she had taken to roosting somewhere. We couldn't find out where, but every day she'd be there at 5:30 a.m. This is not a ideal situation but she s the one member likely to survive this because of her genetics.

So. I don't want her to "raise" them the "wrong way" (i.e. bad ways for a buff orphington to be as opposed to her).

I just want to learn from people who've had broodies and some chicks not from the broody or hatched underneath her personally. Is there some sort of introduction procedure or something?
My first post explains how to introduce the chicks to the broody.

Game hens are good natural mothers. Game hens, & silkies are favorite broodies for some people.

They should be given her own brooding area, so she's not disturbed too much by the other birds.

I have done broody hatches, & had a Silkie hen successfully raise some project Orpingtons of mine.

I have 2 broody Red JungleFowl/American Game crosses, 3 broody silkies, a broody Buff Orpington, a broody Mille Fleur D'uccle, & a broody Porcelain D'uccle. Lots of broodies on my hands.

Hey I got 2 hens today but I don't know what breed they are can some one please tell me I will post a pic of them I have a white one and a black/orange/red one

Attachments​

• 98371F30-E81C-4AA4-9275-E37ECDC0199A (2).jpeg
    98371F30-E81C-4AA4-9275-E37ECDC0199A (2).jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 3
  • F01D445D-C363-4A71-A03B-8BF21C3E9D61 (1).jpeg
    F01D445D-C363-4A71-A03B-8BF21C3E9D61 (1).jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom