One girl in my flock has a KNACK TO ATTACK one other girl! PLEASE HELP!

Namasteci

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 8, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey everyone!
frow.gif

I have a Welsummer that I got while I had a buff orphington and an ameraucana. All seemed to get along great. My orphie sadly passed, so I got 3 chicks (one rhode island red and two golden laced wyandottes) back in the end of January.

I have a coop with a little offshoot (you can see in my photos), which I used to separate the big chicks from the little girls while they were different sizes. However, I let them out all day to roam the yard together before it gets dark. The last few weeks while they've roamed together, the wellie is RIDICULOUSLY mean to the RIR, but leaves the other chicks alone. The wellie will chase the RIR off into corners, try pecking her head off, and doesn't stop until I run outside or the ameraucana hen distracts her. I tried carrying them around the yard together several times - one in each arm - but the wellie gets a crazy side-stare and will do anything after a few minutes to rip the RIR's eye out.

WHAT DO I DO? The wellie is so kind to me and to the other 3 girls, but she is also awful noisy and will have to go if she keeps pecking at the RIR. I can't have a B**** in my flock!!

Thanks!
Staci

theres a pecking order and if you don't let them work it out it will not stop....

The RIR will become dominant, eventually. They are a pretty aggressive breed, especially compared to Welsummers. My two RIR's are the undisputed flock mistresses. The older Orphington hens will sometimes chase the younger RIR hen, but not very often because she stands up to them. It's when BOTH of them get after her that she runs. I'd make sure the RIR hen has some places to hide or get away from the other hen, at least until she figures out she doesn't have to put up with the pecking.

Also, I've noticed that less dominant animals will be vicious to others that are jockeying for position in the pecking order. My sweetest, kindest horse will be the monster that torments any newcomers to the herd. He's trying to protect his position on the food chain, and your Welsummer is probably trying to do the same.

Thanks @rc4u and @Peeps61 . I know that I can't control a pecking order, but I hate hearing the sweet RIR get brutalized. I'm a pacifist at heart I guess… I never thought about it that way that soon enough the tables may turn and she may defend herself. I guess I was more worried that the pecking would become contagious and the other girls would all kind of turn on each other - instead of the peaceful camaraderie that's been occurring until late.

Thanks again for your input!
thumbsup.gif

My Wellie girl is pretty dominant and not very nice about it...breed isn't the whole story tho, it's more about individuals and their place in the pecking order.

If she continues to be overly abusive, I'd isolate her for a few days.

My Wellie girl is pretty dominant and not very nice about it...breed isn't the whole story tho, it's more about individuals and their place in the pecking order.

If she continues to be overly abusive, I'd isolate her for a few days.

Good idea Aart! She'll be the outsider when reintroduced, so she may not be as mean if that happens.
Might be, never done it myself, but can't let a bird continue to abuse a flock member.....
.......have read numerous stories where it worked and some where it didn't.

Back
Top Bottom