One girl left, how to introduce a new chicken or pair

UrbanRebel

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2015
5 95 degree days in Michigan and one of my pair passed away. I can find 1 year old birds in the area but knowing how chickens are I wonder if:
I get one, will they probably be okay together?
If I get 2 or 3 it seems it would be a problem. The 2 would pick on my lone girl and the 3 may do the same thing, even though they are an even number totally. My one would be the "stranger".
I would love advice.

:welcome

Sorry for your loss, heat can be hard on chickens. I agree with the advice @sourland has given you...as chickens are flock animals, it's hard for them to be alone and if you get 2 (or more), you won't be so likely to find yourself in the same situation on down the road. Use the search feature to read up on isolation and integration, there are a lot of helpful posts on the subjects.

Best of luck to you, thanks for joining us!

Always quarantine first in my opinion 2 weeks at least. I normally go 1 month. It's best to do two or more birds at A time if they range. If they don't then I would do more like 4. I personally like the nighttime introduction the best I have less battles that way. I have had success in this way the most. All these styles depend on your flock and how they play with others of course. There are many videos on YouTube of daytime intro and nighttime intro

Back
Top Bottom