1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one girl stoped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dippy, May 20, 2008.

1. dippy

dippy New Egg

Apr 5, 2008
    Greencastle PA
    My girls have been laying for about 2 months. we left on vacation for two days they had plenty of food and water while we were gone. we collected the eggs when we returned and all was fine . But now one of the girls has stoped laying is this normal , did we do something wrong? none of them are sitting on the eggs. I thank you for any help!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Sounds odd - perhaps she's going to molt....?

3. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    is she sitting on the eggs and loosing feathers on her tummy? if so she may have gone broody. there are a few tricks to un-brood a hen that don't involve letting her set. you could put her in a cage for a few days, she'll come out of her broodiness. we do it, not in little cages of course, we have an old rabbit cage from when we had a pet checkered giant. its lie 3x6x3. as long as it has a wire bottom it would work.

she could just be on a break though, have a few days between clutches you know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by