One group of day old chicks are ganging up on another! Pecking at his/her eyeball!

Connie White

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Cedar Bluff, Alabama
I just had some chicks hatched out - I have 4 Americaunas and one Buckeye daddy - crossed with something else.
they are less than one day old - the Americaunas are doing triple flips through the air like ninjas - drinking water, eating food - and the other chick is ....slow. It doesn't walk right, keeps falling over like one leg doesn't work as well as the other and now - the other chicks are pecking at its eyeball. I put a divider between them for the night but am concerned for a couple of reasons - 1: will baby chicks kill another chick? and 2 - chicks need to be raised with chicks! so, one isn't good - however, I do have more chicks hatching out next Friday. Some breeds just may be clumsy day 1 - but this chick almost seems deformed - it's doing everything else right though.

So, my question is - has anybody else had this experience? What's this about and what do you do about it? Input would be most appreciative -

I have not had this exact experience, but I have one chick that goes straight for the eyes of the others. It doesn't pick on anyone in particular, but searches specifically for the others eyes and attacks them. She'll grab the lower eyelid and pull on it. I felt bad for the others. They would scream. The mean chick isn't bigger than the others. In fact, she would even pick on the bigger chicks as well as ones of the same size. I took her away from the others and keep her separate. I kept her apart for a day, then let her back in and she went straight for anothers eyes in a matter of seconds. I've had her by herself for the past week now, and thought I would try again today, but she did the same thing! I don't know what to do with her now.

Chickens are brutal and even babies understand survival of the fittest. The other chicks sense this one is weak and will cull it from the flock given the chance. You can try keeping it separate for a week or so and see if it gets stronger, and during that time you need to do some serious thinking on if you want to raise a special needs animal.

Well, it's morning and I had hoped that the little yellow chick would be walking better - but it's not. Rachel - I am going to have 100 chicks and ducks by 31 more days - no time or desire to have a special needs chicken - Mine all free range and such and I live in a rural area so - nothing weak lasts too long around here. It's amazing how healthy and energetic and coordinated the Americaunas are - especially in comparison to the yellow chick. Kayleigh - I think it is just one chick doing this now that you mention it! I have no problems culling a problem child - (not killing just separating). They have a VERY aggressive father! He's not mean but he's very assertive and such! But the one chick is only picking on the weaker one - and it's just strange how chickens of a certain breed 'flock together!' I may have to keep them separated and will keep little yellow another week before making any life threatening decisions ;) Thanks, Connie

Well I had one in our group of like 30 that was like that. I have been reading this site for so long and had an idea what to do. I took it out and gave it sugar water from a dropper. I would let a drop form and let it take it, I did this until it stopped. I did this like every few hours for a few days and now it is running around with the others. It is still the runt of the bunch but seems to be able to fend for its self. Oh I also had some pedialyte left over that I mixed in with the sugar water the first day. Really hope this helps.

I had 2 chicks recently hatched that I had to help out of sticky shells at the end of the hatch. They were brain damaged, so after 24 hours I knew they wouldn't make it--they were lethargic and being trampled by the others. I had to cull one, but the other died. There are different methods such as mixing equal parts of baking soda and vinegar and placing them in a coffee can with the chick for a couple of minutes. It is pretty painless. This is the biggest problem I have with hatching chicks.

Here is one possible solution a friend of mine on facebook posted - the guy actually found the info here! We're going to get a band-aid and test it now. But if it's a 'bad egg' then i'll probably just leave it in the woods and let nature take its course - there is no easy way ;(

Well, I guess i was wrong - I think she does have Splayed leg problem because the bandaid solution is working and she's doing much better this morning!
Thanks for everyone's help - I will post updates on her situation - the good, the bad and the ugly!
Connie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom