1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One half is laying, the other isn't...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DFCottage, Feb 10, 2009.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    OK, so just under a year ago we got out flock from McMurray, and over the course of the summer acquired about 10 more. About 40 chickens total. Large coop, an outdoor protected area plenty large for them to play around, etc. Even came out on nice days when we were home. So about 2 months ago the owners of the farm (I live there as well) introduced 2 roosters (who got along well) and then we started noticing blood on the walls, about chicken height, and a bit on a few of the birds. The owners decided it was too crowded in there, so we finished off the 'coop' on the other side of my storage shed. It's got lots of air flow, is about 7' in height and about 7' by 12' with plenty of perching space. I moved my 16 hens over there, and since then, there have been no more incidents. Problem is, no more eggs! I get maybe 2 a week if I'm lucky right now. We are in central virginia, and are out of that nasty cold snap now, but what I find strange is that the other set of birds (about 24) are laying like mad!! Mine can only get out on weekends since the other flock is out M-F and they get mixed up. Do I need a roo? A run out for them during the week? I realize it's winter, but it's confusing me that the other flock is producing, and I'm getting nothing.

Thoughts?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Moving them can cause stress and they will stop laying.

3. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Yeah I figured stress for at least the first few weeks, but they've been in that new coop at least 6 weeks now, almost 7.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh with that long of a time frame I would say that maybe someone/something is eating the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by