one happy flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wundernurse, Jan 26, 2009.

1. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    I have 2 six week pullets (I hope) and just got 3 more hopefully pullets that are two weeks old and they are in separate brooders. When would you combine these two little flocks? I was thinking of waiting a month or so and putting them all out in the coop together - neutral territory- right before bed. There are no other chickens in the coop. Any advice??

2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

Lots of good folks here with good advice!

The thing I have found most important in combining the chickies, is size. I have found also, that introducing them just before night fall, or when its to hot to fight minimizes the fighting. Others have found letting them be in adjoining areas next to each other for a few days first works for them. I am doing that now, and waiting for the little ones to catch up in size. There will always be some pecking order adjustment. Good Luck!

What kind of chickies did you get?

3. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the advice. My 2 six weekers are an Araucana and a Blue cukoo marans and the 3 two weekers are a Buff Orphington, RIR and Ameraucana. My six week chicks started as a group of six, but two died early and two are roos so I needed to build my flock a little. I don't think the younger ones will catch up in size for a while, so hopefully b/c there are 3 of them, the 2 older ones won't be as rough on them. I guess well see! Thanks

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I usually let them play all together in their large pen for a few days, separate at night. Check to see if anyone is getting picked on etc. In a few days they all get along enough for me to lock them in together. I have not had any problems (yet). I've even done this with our ducks also. Now the chickens and the ducks live happily together.
    [​IMG]
    PS [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by