one hatched 2 days ago

kasey08

Aunt Kasey's Farm
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Scottsboro, AL
So I had eggs in my incubator and under a hen. The power went out for 3 days and only had 5 left in the incubator still alive when it came back on. I put them under the broody hen. The one under my hen I could tell it was father along then the ones in my incubator(all from the same batch) I guess just having the power off just stoped them from forming. So its been 2 days since the one egg hatched. Should I take the chick away then give it back when the others hatch? I dont want it to starve but dont want her to leave the other eggs. I candled last Sat and they looked really close. What to do?

Last edited:
Low temperatures cause late hatches. If the temperature got low when the

power went out, then that is the reason why they are a little 'behind'. Do you

know what the temperature got down to? As long as your seeing movement,

or any signs of life, they should still hatch fine. Just late. You can take the chick,

then when the others hatch, slip the little guy back under her at night.

Good luck!

PLEASE HELP. Will she leave the eggs if I leave the chick in there? Should I take the eggs? Will she leave the eggs looking for the chick if I take the chick?

She shouldn't.

You can stick the eggs in the incubator again, and leave the little chick with mom.

Or you can take the chick and leave the eggs. She will eventually leave the eggs,

because chickie needs food and water after about 3 days after hatching. Mommy

knows that and will gradually move away from the eggs. If you want, just wait and

see what happens. If they hatch before she moves away - great, if they don't, I'd

snatch them up and put them in the incubator.
smile.png
My hen hatched three beautiful

chicks 5 days ago, and she is moving away from the remaining eggs. She's exploring

with her new babies, rather than setting on the remaining eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom