One hatched a week later than others...now what...UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiepony, Sep 25, 2011.

1. okiepony

okiepony Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Yeah... I had five chicks hatch a week ago. I didn't remove the remaining eggs as the mama was staying put on the nest pretty much, she has only started to move around a little in the last couple of days, still mostly staying on the nest.

So, this morning I went to check on them and there was a #6...
    Of course, it's way smaller than the others being a week younger, and can't get around lightning fast like the others. It was clearly shivering when it wasn't under mama.
    The others would also peck on it a little - nothing vicious so far, but I'm a bit uneasy for the baby's safety.

Should I just leave it with mama and trust her to take care of it?
    Or, is there a chance she'll reject it somewhat as it's not as fast and ready to go as the week older babies?

I don't want the little one to get cold/ trampled/ pecked on just because it's smaller and slower....

Suggestions......

Thanks.......

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi okiepony,

this is a very hard question. You could take it indoors with a lamp and look after it yourself, but it would be lonely. It would have a better survival chance but then later you'd have to find a way to integrate it with the others.

If you leave it with the mother its chances aren't good, unfortunately. Then again it may survive. Chicks can surprise us sometimes.

If you really want this little one to make it, you might put it in a brooder with one of the other chicks so it has company but isn't too bullied.

Best of luck,
    Erica

3. okiepony

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks, Erica.

The last time I went to check on them the little one was shivering and cold again, and getting run over by everyone else. So, I intervened, and have managed to get the little one warm again. If it makes it overnight and looks more alert and lively I might get one of the others to keep it company.

We'll see. Fingers crossed for the wee one!

4. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Wondering if the chick made it???? I would suggest maybe taking it inside in a brooder with a little stuffed animal or a feather duster to keep it company for a couple days. Once its had a week or so to really get its legs and body regulated just take the chick out to the coop at night when mom is sleeping and slip it back under her.... She will accept it fine. I have some incu. hatched chicks that were 9 days, 5 days, 2 days, and same day hatched that I gave my broody hen. There is obvious size differences between the four but they all get along fine and are a couple weeks old now being raised by mom in with the flock.

Your chick may just need some good rest and food in it. Also you might think about some electrolytes/vitamins to give it an additional boost. But I would think after a week it should be strong enough to be ok with mom and the rest but without seeing it and your situation I cant say for sure......

Good Luck with your chickie and hopefully it made it through the night!

5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Perhaps if you take that one little guy and two of his older sibs into a brooder he can get the heat he needs and not be alone. (I suggest two in that in case the little guy doesn't make the two remaining chicks can go back to mom together - hopefully eliminating the singleton issue.)

6. okiepony

Mar 10, 2011
    Hey!

I just came back for an update!

The Wee One was very tired and sad for a full couple of days, then started slowly perking up. On Sunday when I pulled it from the mama and the rest of the babies I started giving it a little bit of electrolytes hoping it'd keep it going. I don't know if it helped any, but I do know the Wee One is doing great now!! [​IMG]

I tried to see if the mama and the babies would take it back to their flock, but as soon as I put the Wee One with them the mama pecked her very hard over the head. I grabbed the baby and took it back to the house.
    She (I think it's a girl - it's too sweet to be a cocky boy!!) has been sleeping snuggled up to a tiny teddybear. She also sleeps in my hand every now and then, and I like to encourage her to feed -- I have a tiny coffee scoop that I have some chick feed in and I tap it with my finger and the Wee One likes to eat when I hold her. It's just a little special time for her....

She also eats and drinks by herself in her "house", and like I said, when she gets tired she goes and snuggles with the teddybear.

Today I made the trip to closest store that sells baby chicks and got her three friends. She's still the tiniest one in the bunch, but they get along just fine. It seems like she was thrilled to have friends!!! Seriously!!! [​IMG]

So, so far so good!! [​IMG]

...and the chickenmath works great... you got a lonesome baby, you gotta get some NEW baby friends for it, RIGHT??? [​IMG]

7. okiepony

Mar 10, 2011
    A couple of pics from today of The Wee One:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Such a lovely update! [​IMG]

9. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Those pictures are so cute!! [​IMG]. Your chicken math looked good to me!!

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    X 2 !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by