One hatched and nothing from the rest...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williamsl77, Jan 24, 2012.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Trying to patient. One chick pipped, zipped and hatched this morning in about ten minutes. It was very quick. I don't see or hear anything from the rest. The humidity was getting a little low and the first chick was fluffy, so I opened the incubator to put more water in and take the first chick out. How normal is it to have one chick go like lightening speed and have nothing from the rest?

Detals of the hatch: There were 11 eggs total (ten remaining). Today is day 21. Temps have been stable, humidity has ranged from 30-45% most of the time (occasional short term either over or under that). Hovabator with autoturner and shipped eggs. Eggs lost about 13% of weight by lockdown. Aircells looked appropriate. 2nd hatch in this incubator and while I did scrub it out with dishsoap and airdry it, I did not do anything to really disinfect it... I have been reading more about disinfecting and now, of course, I'm worried that I didn't disinfect it.

Anyway... last question... I understand why not to open the bator after they pip (drop in humidity can cause shrink wrap). If there are no other pips, when should I check these eggs?

Thanks!

2. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    bumping for toughts... I do hear some chirping coming from the eggs. How long from internal pip to external pip?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi and well done.. Ive just had my first chich hatch 5 mins ago, first hatch ever lol.. I cant check on my humidity as i have nothing to check it with. Ive just gone by manuel and filled all the channels, i noticed theres not much water left in channels so dont know if to fill them. I darent open the lid... I will keep an eye on your thread to see if anyone has the answer. Hope you dont mind... My first pip was at 1.00 this afternoon and it just hatched 8.10 tonight. I have 2 more that pipped this morning but they havnt done anything else...good luck..Tracy x

4. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    A few weeks ago I had my first hatch of 10 chicks. First out was Fri evening and they continued thru Sun afternoon. Some pipped and zipped quickly and others took over 24 hours from pip to zip. Hatching sure does test your patience! Good luck!

5. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I can't believe how hard it is for me to be patient with this. I "labor sit" people all the time, for hours and hours. I guess I feel like I know what normal is there where I don't know what normal is here.

6. SherrieT

SherrieT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Barrington, RI
    I'm just 3 days into the incubation and I have a hard time not running in and looking at the incubator !!
    You are a lot more patient then I am !!

Good luck and post pictures please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by