One hatched on pipped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolfandfinch, Dec 5, 2013.

1. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    So I have a hatched chick that's quite fluffy and active, one that's pipping (started at 9am and it's almost 3 now), and 16 eggs. What happens if they keep staggering their hatch, how can I move the one to the brooder after a day if another one has pipped ?!

2. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    To further explain. One chick will be at the 24 hours since hatch at aprox 6am tomorrow morning, possibly earlier. It hatched at some point between 8 pm and 8 am but was still damp at 8am, and still had a damp patch on it's back even now at 3. the americauna pipped at 9am this morning so may hatch any time tonight. I can't be here after 6pm because it's in a preschool.

Should I risk opening the incubator and should I risk moving the chick a little early or should I risk the americauna being pecked with that active chick unsupervised overnight?

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    3 days like I said

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Actually... there is no need to worry about a lockdown. Don't HOLD the incubator open, but you can open it long enough to grab a chick to put in the brooder. It won't affect temperature and humidity enough to cause alarm. If you're worried about humidity, use a spray bottle to mist the air directly above the eggs (but not enough to make the droplets completely cover the egg shell as they fall), and then close the incubator again. The temperature can also fall a degree or two without any damage.

I also don't stop turning my eggs. I have noticed a significant increase in my hatch rates when I leave them in the automatic turner. And since doing that, I have NEVER had one pip in the wrong end (where as I had several of those when I removed them from the turner for the final three days).

5. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    It still hadn't progressed at all since starting to zip. The membrane was very thick and yellow brown and stuck to the chick on the same place so I took off the rest at the air cell and the chick pushed itself out if the egg. It's resting in the bator. Chirping and sometimes moving but mostly just curled up. Hope it makes it :(

6. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Is this foot ok? The chick is only a half hour old. Same chick that was shrink wrapped

[​IMG]

7. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    It has been 4 days so I hope everything went well. I was going to say to wait until it was up and moving around good then look at the foot again. It's a mighty tiring thing they have to do to hatch so it takes a bit for them to recover:)

8. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    thanks for checking in. It was well until yesterday. I came in the morning and it had pasty butt and a leg splay. I cleaned off its bottom and it had a big poo so I left it for the day. Today I went in the morning again and it still had the leg splay so I gave it a hobble. Apparently it's up and moving a bit with the hobble which cheers me up. When I left it refused to eat and drink with help and I had to get home to my sick kids.

I'll probably never stop worrying about this one chick!

9. HorseMadWhovian

HorseMadWhovian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    On my horse ;)
    I would open it and move the chick, he'll need to eat and drink soon. If others are taking to long you can use dull tweezers to make a zip and help them out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by