One hen dead, another not looking right.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Timbertoes, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Timbertoes

Timbertoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Posting this for a friend.
    One of her hens started not looking quite "right", kinda puffed up on Sunday night and was dead on Monday morning. Now today another hen is "off" looking.
    Her horses were being treated for colic. Vet came on Friday and the horses received tranquilizers and meds. Butte and Banamine sp? Very acute cases treated aggressively.
    The hens mess around in the manure pile, could this have something to do with them being sick and dying?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Timbertoes

Jul 14, 2011
    ANYONE? Help!

3. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    i have heard that chickens can be effected by colic i would call the vet and ask him what can be done.

4. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I'm sorry, I have no experience with this. I hope your friend's chickens pull through. Can she isolate the sick one and keep the rest from the manure pile to see if that might be what is causing it?

Also - any other specific symptoms other than "off?"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. Timbertoes

Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks for your responses.
    Symptoms are just 'not active, puffed feathers'
    Will call the vet, thanks

6. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I would isolate the sick chicken, keep any other chickens from accessing the manure, and call an avian vet. Puffed up and lethargic can be a zillion different things. I have a puffed up lethargic bird right now who has sour crop, so I have her isolated and am treating her as best I can with yogurt, olive oil and by gently massaging her crop.

When she isolates the bird, I'd feed it plain yogurt to help with it's belly, and maybe some scrambled egg for a little protein. Fresh water with electrolytes. I'd avoid adding ACV to the water if you suspect something like sour crop.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    treat them for coccidiosis asap

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by