1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One hen dead, bloody stools in hen house

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChesapeakeBorn, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ChesapeakeBorn

ChesapeakeBorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    One of my young hens (maybe about 5 months old?) was found dead today. She was one of 5 that live in a chicken tractor. Found a few blood-tinged stools in the hen house after she passed. These hens are vaccinated.

Over the summer something wiped out my first (unvaccinated) flock. Still don't know what it was. One chicken survived and the vet put her on enrofloxacin. I cleaned the tractor and keep it out of the area where it was this summer, just in case. But now I am wondering: Is my yard just not conducive to raising chickens? Why am I failing at this? I add apple cider vinegar to the water now, and keep it clean (well, change it daily). I change out the shavings n the house part and move the tractor every 5-6 days (I'd do it more often, but I work full time and have 2 young children). I had no idea that chicken were so fragile or short-lived. We put so much time and money into this project, not to mention heart.[​IMG]

2. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    I suspect coccidiosis. Have they been on medicated chick starter? If not, start a course of either Corid or Sulmet, which is available at feed stores. If they have been on medicated starter, I would start with the Sulmet. Good luck with the rest of your flock.

3. CAChicklette

CAChicklette New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't dispair...it's all part of the learning curve! I agree with coccidiosis. I learned it's a bacteria that's found in all soil...but three things are important...dry, clean and food off the dirt.
    If your chicken tractor is in a particularly damp or usually damp area...try to find a dry patch and/or move the tractor more often. I feed on bin covers, plates, foil tins...boot mats...whatever I can find to keep food pretty clean. They'll graze and peck at the grass but keep their water clean and their bedding dry...straw or hay or something and you should be ok.

4. ChesapeakeBorn

ChesapeakeBorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Thank you for the encouragement! I started them on Sulmet tonight, moved the tractor, and cleaned the hen house again. They had pretty much gone to bed for the evening so I don't think they drank enough of the medicated water yet.

I guess the ground is just staying too damp, then they poo all over this confined area and well, maybe the bacteria just goes crazy? Maybe moving the tractor more frequently will help (though we had just moved it on Saturday). Should I put hydrated lime down when I move them to a new area? They are not on medicated feed - just layer crumbles. I wasn't sure about whether or not the medicine in the feed goes into the eggs that we eat. Speaking of which, I guess we won't be eating their eggs while they are on the Sulmet.

My first flock died this summer from something different I think. My guess is fowl cholera. Very green diarrhea.

Something a bit strange - when our neighbors found the dead hen today, the others were pecking at her! Her feathers were everywhere when I got home. What were they doing?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by