1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One hen dead. What now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggyErin, Sep 13, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    My white Marans died last night. She had labored breathing yesterday morning, worsened as the day wore on. Isolated her and gave her Sulmet. Happened so fast. She had no nasal discharge, no eye problems, no smell. Does this still sound like coryza? Do I need to put Sulmet in the flock waterer? I've never had any sickness problems, keep a clean coop/feeder/waterer. They do free range. Haven't had any new birds since getting chicks in March. What can I do??

2. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I am going through this right now, 6 hens down and 20 more ill, I thought it was coryza but didn't have the smell, after further research it was CRD since I have two hens with leg problems. I ordered Gallimyicin and Tylan 50, I pray my hens make it till tomorrow, when the meds arrive. I am in day 3 of hell right now [​IMG] Sulmet didn't do anything and they got worse.

3. MadamePoulette

MadamePoulette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Sorry to hear for both of you. We've lost 4 ( 3 hens- 1 Roo ) in the last week and don't really know why. How could we figure out if it's CRD? All 4 were from the same coop but we isolated the Roo for about a week and a half when we noticed he was getting week but then he passed yesterday. As for the other 3, we never even noticed a difference in there behavior, completely unexpected. We have only been in chicken farming for about 6 months but completely new to the disease aspect of it and its pretty overwhelming. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

4. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    Unix, I've been reading your posts and feel so bad for you. What a nightmare. It seems to me that there have been a lot of posts recently from people who are battling diseases. I don't know if this is typical for this site or if it really has been more than usual. Right now I don't have any meds but Sulmet but plan to get some other choices when I go to town and/or by mail.

Mme Poulette, sorry to welcome you to BYC under these circumstances but at least you've chosen the right place for information. I've only had chickens since last October and got additional chicks in March so I sympathize with where you are. This with my hen came out of nowhere. Reading all these disease posts is overwhelming, so much information that I end up dazed and not knowing what my next step should be. I'm stuck right now, hoping to do something proactive since no other chickens are sick. Hopefully some more posters can say what the next couple of steps should be.

Now I'm off to disinfect the isolation cage.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by