One Hen died, so I purchased corid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken_ladyGA, Oct 21, 2008.

1. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    ... but it says its for cows ? directions are for cows so not real sure of how much to give please help . ps she died after a day of non stop diarrhea and im scared it will go to the rest of my flock

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Corid 9.6% solution is 10 cc per 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. I'm sure someone will know if that length of time is right, but I'm fairly certain.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. chicken_ladyGA

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    Thank You I treated the rest of my flock with 2 tsp per gallon , which I just noticed a about 9 chickens missing ??? Ive been so busy with nursing school i don't get to spend the time with them as i used to so haven't been around much lately past week to notice . I have one rooster hopping around one one foot also what could be wrong might it be related ?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. Did a search for corid = Amprol and found this in the backyard chicken forum.

"Corid/Amprolium is generally used for cattle or pigs...

I have Amprol liquid (9.6%), and 9.5-10cc/gallon is the dose for cattle. For chickens it's 4cc/gallon."

You can do a google search and find quite a bit of information of this drug.

Also search the forum for amprolium.

Hope this helps

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    May I ask why you're treating with Corid? Do you think you have coccidiosis? With other possibilities, it would probably be better to assess your flock and list symptoms to determine what the problem could be before treating them with chemicals which are harsh on the system.

It is not uncommon for a single bird to drop dead. It is an issue if you have other birds with symptoms, which means it is something contagious moving through your flock. That's why the other symptoms would be helpful.

Jody

6. chicken_ladyGA

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    Whoops looks like I used too much [​IMG] I used 10 cc per gallon . Will this hurt my birds ? And about accessing the symptoms I discussed it with the feed store owner and that was what he suggested unfortunately it was 20.00 for a small bottle of it . He said much better to treat with this and be safe than be sorry and hurt rest of my flock . I went to the actual site of corid and couldnt get any results about the medication dosing . I tend to forget we have a search engine for just byc . Thanks For all Ya'lls help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by