One hen gave up the nest.

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
I had 2 hens go broody and share the job of hatching and caring for my pea eggs. One hen has officially quit. I guess I'm wondering if I should just play it safe and put the peas in a brooder. How upset would this other hen be? She appears to be quite content mothering still but if she quits I don't want my peas dying.

If your other hen is officially broody you could keep going with her. I have two hens with chicks right now. When the one is a little off the other takes over. She's super dependable. If you think your hen has what it takes I say go for it. But if you have any doubt then maybe it would be best to put them in a brooder. She will probably be upset for a while if you do it so brace yourself.

If your other hen is officially broody you could keep going with her. I have two hens with chicks right now. When the one is a little off the other takes over. She's super dependable. If you think your hen has what it takes I say go for it. But if you have any doubt then maybe it would be best to put them in a brooder. She will probably be upset for a while if you do it so brace yourself.
Hmm. Never having worked with broody's before I'm just not sure. When I opened the area I have them in to give food and water the one hen just left. The other was still sitting with the chicks. They just got me worried is all. I think I'll leave them for now. As is she can't leave unless I open the door. If I open the door and she leaves I guess I'll get the brooder going.

If she's still with them I think that's a good sign. I'd give it a few days and I bet she'll start taking them out with her to go get food and water.

Back
Top Bottom