1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

One hen gave up the nest.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by furbabymum, Jul 25, 2014.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Songster

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I had 2 hens go broody and share the job of hatching and caring for my pea eggs. One hen has officially quit. I guess I'm wondering if I should just play it safe and put the peas in a brooder. How upset would this other hen be? She appears to be quite content mothering still but if she quits I don't want my peas dying.

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If your other hen is officially broody you could keep going with her. I have two hens with chicks right now. When the one is a little off the other takes over. She's super dependable. If you think your hen has what it takes I say go for it. But if you have any doubt then maybe it would be best to put them in a brooder. She will probably be upset for a while if you do it so brace yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. furbabymum

furbabymum Songster

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Hmm. Never having worked with broody's before I'm just not sure. When I opened the area I have them in to give food and water the one hen just left. The other was still sitting with the chicks. They just got me worried is all. I think I'll leave them for now. As is she can't leave unless I open the door. If I open the door and she leaves I guess I'll get the brooder going.

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If she's still with them I think that's a good sign. I'd give it a few days and I bet she'll start taking them out with her to go get food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: