One hen has diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by equi, Dec 19, 2011.

1. equi

equi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Hey, one of my hens has diarrhoea. Well i am assuming only one, cause her vent feathers are all messy and there isnt a lot of it maybe one a day. What could cause this? She is fed on a pellet corn mix and has plenty of grit and the occasional cabbage. Should i worm her?

2. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Possibly cocci? Is she puffed up, also? Does the diarrhea really, really smell funky/sour?

Or, she could also have a yeast infection/problem going?

Can you give us a little more detail on her behavior also?

(look up cocci and yeast on this forum and see if symptoms line up)

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    It would really help if you'd fill out the information requested in the Sticky at the top of the forum.

But since you didn't, my recommendation would be to do so and give them a prophylactic worming.

4. equi

equi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Sorry, i didn't read the sticky my bad.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) She is about 21 weeks
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acting normal eating fine, drinking fine, scratching and clucking fine
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2-3 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nope
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Dont know, only had her for about 4 weeks so the addition of corn mix into her pellet feed?
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layers pellet and a corn mix (all mixed together) with occasional cabbage and grass (but not in the last week), drinking fine
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny, but not watery
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Advice welcome?
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. On shavings in a stable with a 2mx1m plot of soil/grass with light from 8am til 6pm

The only other thing i can mention is that my father was filling the water feeder from a large basin of water i use to clean my horses poop scoops. He didnt know i did this though so it isnt his fault, he knows now and hasnt used it in about 2 weeks, but just thought i would mention..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by