One hen in a bonded pair just passed away leaving the other alone.

DustBathSpaDay

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
My beautiful two-and-a-half year old Mille Fleurs d'Uccle, Marigold, just passed away suddenly, leaving her bonded friend, Kate, a 2 year old Sebright hen, alone. Does anyone know how Sebright hens do on their own?
The girls shared a bedroom in the house, with nice runs outdoors in the gardens, and Marigold was always more submissive and always followed Kate more than Kate followed her.
Kate seems okay at the moment, though she searched for Marigold this evening and crowed more than usual. When she went out to the yard, though, she picked and pecked as usual. When she came inside for the night, she went up on her roost and did not crow but kept looking around.
I'm concerned about how to go forward and what to watch for in Kate.
Thanks very much for any insight or advice you can share.
Heartbroken in PA.

DustBathSpaDay

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
So sad, im afraid hens of any sort don't fare well by themselves they need others for their mental well being.
If you have it in you i'd suggest raising a couple of friends for her.
It won't replace Marigold but Kate will be grateful.
Thanks very much for your response. I'll watch her carefully, keeping this in mind.

DustBathSpaDay

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
I don’t really have any advice, all I can say is sorry for the loss of your hen and that your other hen is missing her. That must be a sad thing to watch. It’s kind of you to worry about her and ask for insight and advice. I wish you luck with figuring out what to do for her :hugs
I don’t really have any advice, all I can say is sorry for the loss of your hen and that your other hen is missing her. That must be a sad thing to watch. It’s kind of you to worry about her and ask for insight and advice. I wish you luck with figuring out what to do for her :hugs
Thanks very much for your kind words.

Jan 16, 2020
Largo, Florida
My beautiful two-and-a-half year old Mille Fleurs d'Uccle, Marigold, just passed away suddenly, leaving her bonded friend, Kate, a 2 year old Sebright hen, alone. Does anyone know how Sebright hens do on their own?
The girls shared a bedroom in the house, with nice runs outdoors in the gardens, and Marigold was always more submissive and always followed Kate more than Kate followed her.
Kate seems okay at the moment, though she searched for Marigold this evening and crowed more than usual. When she went out to the yard, though, she picked and pecked as usual. When she came inside for the night, she went up on her roost and did not crow but kept looking around.
I'm concerned about how to go forward and what to watch for in Kate.
Thanks very much for any insight or advice you can share.
Heartbroken in PA.
The daylight will shine! Get her a younger sister that she can teach the ropes to! My Whiting hid for 2 weeks after her sister died of a brain hemorrhage. As soon as her new little sister arrived she came out of hiding and has a new purpose in life. She literally took her under her wing.

Top Bottom