One hen isn't roosting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hamstery, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Hamstery

Hamstery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    New England
    My 4 hens are 16 weeks old. They've been together since they were chicks. Up until recently, they all roosted comfortably at night. For the past 2 weeks, I have been finding one of my white rocks on the coop floor while the others roost above her. She is NOT at the bottom of the pecking order.
    I'm worried about when it starts to get cold and she's alone with no body heat at night. Should I be concerned?

2. RoosterAddict99

RoosterAddict99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2012
    Try puting her back on the roost. If she insists on staying down there, I wouldn't be worried unless it gets really cold. I have two or three chickens that just prefer to sleep in the nest boxes instead of roosting. Good luck!

3. ChickNhood

ChickNhood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Decatur IL
    I have a bantam buff brahma that is scared of heights.... She will roost if u place her uo nervous on the roost... Put her on the floor and shes right to sleep... She will "roost" on the 4" lip of her nest box and shes happy a hog in pig ****! there but does not look comfortable...she just seems unreasonably

4. Hamstery

Hamstery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    New England
    Thank you! I'm going to try putting her up there tonight and then go back out a few hours later and check on her to see if she stayed. It's just odd because they all roosted together fine for the first couple months.

5. eggcitment

eggcitment New Egg

Oct 6, 2015
    I'm currently having the same problem. Did you end up figuring out a solution?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by