One Hen Laying Poopy Eggs -- But Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3KillerBs, Mar 15, 2014.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    If I understand correctly the track of the egg doesn't intersect the track of the waste until just above the vent and that the act of laying is supposed to close off the intestine side. So the egg should only get poopy if it lands in something in the next box.

However, I have one hen who always lays poopy eggs. Not just a little speck, a big blob of chicken poop all along the side of the egg. Every single day that she lays.

I don't know which hen it is. Its always in the middle nestbox. Other than the poop-smear its a normal, medium-to-largish, mid-brown egg just like the others.

And the poop is perfectly normal in appearance. Quite indistinguishable from any other poop in the coop so I don't think she's sick.

Any thoughts?

2. erlibrd

erlibrd Crowing

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I don't have an answer but also have this happening with just one hen, it's always the same size and shade egg so I know it's the same hen and most times there is a little smear of blood but not on the same side as the poop. She hasn't always laid a poopy egg just started a few weeks ago. Nest boxes are clean...

3. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Mine doesn't bleed. I only had one egg with blood and I'm sure it was someone's first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: