One hen laying soft-shells two at a time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Longview, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Longview

Longview Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Northern IL
    These 12 girls were hatched mid-March, and have been laying since the very beginning of August. Early starters! I know for a fact that at least ten are laying. I have 4 americaunas, two SCB leghorns, 2 BO, 2 NH Reds and 2 GL Wyandottes. If there are any holdouts still not laying they are brown-egg layers.

Here is my "problem." I know these young hens will produce some crazy eggs while their egg machines are gearing up; I have gotten some itty-bitties, doublers, and even one triple! But the eggs are all beautiful, with the typical tough shells and bright yolks.

BUT. One hen is "laying" two soft-shelled eggs at a time, from her night perch, after night-night time. It has happened three times now. I always check the floor beneath the roost and remove them before the girls find them and get a taste. I know weird things happen, but this seems to be a pattern for a particular hen and I am not confident she will grow out of it.

How much time do I give her, and is there a way to find out for sure which one it is? I suspect one of the Wyandottes, since they were under or near her both times. The other Wyandotte sleeps on the floor underneath everybody, in her own
    "nest" in the corner. [​IMG]

The other possibility is a NH Red, but I sure would like to know for sure and would love to avoid separation if possible.

Input? Tips? Thanks in advance!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Observation or separation those are the only way I can think of to know. It seem to me she has a a major hiccup in her egg works. Since she is dropping them at night, an over night separation would work. Could you separate her at night? That would cause much less disruption in the order.

3. Longview

Longview Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Northern IL
    I probably could, would have to figure out the logistics. Maybe the dogs would let me borrow a big crate? Thanks for your response, I will see if I can figure out which one it is.

Is this maybe something she won't grow out of?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Hopefully she will grow out of this. Laying two eggs in short order is a quick way for her to use her stores of calcium and other things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by