one hen laying to many eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannondee12, Jan 3, 2014.

1. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    My brother has what appears to be a white rock hen. she is 2 years old and he only collects eggs every few days or so since his wife is preggers, they won't eat farm eggs until after she delivers (under Dr. orders)

Anyways, for the past few weeks he goes down to the coop about every 4 days and there is 7-8 eggs EVERY time. They are huge eggs to, at least xlarge if not jumbo. How is this possible? She lays an average of 1.75 eggs per day. I thought they couldn't do that. Before you ask, he has no other hens. Just one hen and one roo. There is no artificial light provided and they are contained and feed layer pellets.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Somebody is fooling somebody. Brother is losing track of days when he collects eggs. Somebody is adding eggs to the coop as a joke. He actually has two+ hens and not a hen and a rooster.

3. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I would agree, except

1. The rooster crows
    2. I have hatched several clutches from this pair
    3. I witnessed it myself while house sitting

while house sitting, I checked on the chickens in the am and pm and the first day there was one egg in the nest box in the morning and when I went back that evening, another one. the evenings there wasn't one then there was 2 the next morning. There is no trickery or tomfoolery because I checked the recorded tapes. There are carmera's all over the property including one aimed on the huge chicken coop/run. No one on the several hundred acre property but me. It did show the hen going into the nest boxes and laying the eggs though. So, I am stumped. Since most of my flock are chicks from this pair, I am hoping the egg laying superstar passes the trait on to my chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by