One hen left out

PepeDeSilva

Chirping
Mar 12, 2019
Livonia, MI
I'm in a situation I haven't encountered before and not sure what the best option is. I have a somewhat large coop and run (about 400 sqft total), previously with 9 hens. A group of 5 ISA browns that I got last year and a new group of four sapphire gems that I got this year. The two groups never really integrated but they had enough room to stay out of each others' way so things were going fine. Well two days ago some racoons got into the coop and killed all but one of the gems. I've solved the raccoon problem but now I have this one lone hen, who is getting bullied pretty badly by the other 5. Today I assembled her a little hospital pen inside my barn to recuperate, but I'm not sure what to do long term. Should I try re-introducing her after she recovers? Take in a few more orphans so maybe she can form a new clique? Or maybe re-home her somewhere and give her a chance with a whole new group?
Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

How old is the surviving bird? Had she started laying yet or no? If she's on the younger side that could explain why she isn't 100 part of the flock yet, once she begins laying she should be a little closer to the older birds.

If possible, set up her isolation cage/pen in the coop or run with the others, so you don't have to do a full reintegration as you would if you kept her somewhere separate.

Thanks for the advice. She is young, just started laying in the last two weeks. One of the reasons I moved her to isolation is that the other hens weren't giving her access to the nesting box. She got a little scratch from the raccoon but nothing serious, although I think it made a target for nipping. Mostly she just seems very sad, it's hard to watch.
Her isolation pen is actually on the other side of a door from the coop, I'll cut a window so she can still see the other hens and hopefully she will be able to integrate back into the flock. Perhaps when cooler weather finally arrives that will calm everyone down as well.

Back
Top Bottom