One hen never lays !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tasgoddess, Sep 17, 2011.

1. tasgoddess

tasgoddess New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    I have 3 hens - two of them have been laying for 9 months now, but one has never laid an egg. She's a freeloader, but she's pretty and I'm fond of her. They are all the same age. I wonder, will she ever lay ? Is there anything I can do ?

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Are you sure she's a hen? It's easy to make that mistake with chickens.

3. tasgoddess

tasgoddess New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    She (?) has no comb development, doesn't crow - although I have heard her make a very weird cackly squawk. She also always gets any large insect that I may throw in the coop before the other girls even realise what it is... I never considered the fact that she might not be a she. She is no bigger and looks no different..

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I would double check to make sure she is a she. but I have one who I assume never lays but I don't think you can ever be 100% sure. all chickens will not lay ever day. 2 eggs from three hens is average for most people to get.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have the same situation exactly. 3 hens, 2 eggs a day. And I know this one doesn't lay b/c I am home all day and see the 2 that lay. I know she is not laying anywhere else b/c I am always in the backyard and have found no eggs anywhere else. She is very sweet and keeps the peace between the other two. So she's here to stay even though she's a freeloader.

6. tasgoddess

tasgoddess New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    Yes, I guess I'll just introduce a new hen this fall so that I have 3 layers, and keep my non-layer too. I'm positive she doesn't ever lay - it's pretty easy to tell when you only have 3... Good to know other folk have sterile hens too though.!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by