One hen not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sphillips, Aug 2, 2013.

1. sphillips

sphillips Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    I have 5 Leghorn hens, each of which has been laying one egg a day for the last several weeks. Over the last two days, it's dropped to 4 eggs a day. I honestly can't say that they are all laying, but are all about 25 weeks old. I've been assuming each one has been laying one egg a day. Anyway, I would like to know if I need to be concerned, these hens don't let me near them like my other breeds do, so it's hard to really get a good look at them. Is there a possibility that one is egg bound, or maybe something else? Do I need to be concerned, and what should I watch for?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My chickens' egg production goes up and down depending on how much protein they are getting, the heat or cold, their stress levels if new chickens are added or removed, or just rearranging things in the run. So many factors!

I wouldn't worry unless you see signs of illness.

3. sphillips

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    Chickens are Sweet: Thanks for your reply! You always seem to get back to me. I haven't changed anything, they have air conditioning, although this week is much hotter than it was for the last couple of weeks when I didn't have to run the cooler for them at all. I've been getting a steady 5 eggs a day for about a week or two now, and now just 4 a day for the last two days. My hens seem to be healthy, nobody appears to be ill as far as I can tell by watching them. They all love their mealworm treats and have a healthy appetite. How long should I go before I will know that there may be a problem? I figured a few days without an egg was probably considered 'normal', but how many days can she go without laying before I know there is something that needs to be done?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You are welcome!

Well if you are not seeing any signs of illness then the only thing to do is wait...sometimes they take breaks or slow down for whatever reason. Here is a nice thread (72 page thread!).
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Oh I forgot to ask what you are feeding.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  5. sphillips

Feb 18, 2013
    New Mexico
    I'm currently switching them from grower/feeder ration to a layer ration. Have added oyster shell free choice now that my younger ones are getting close to laying. The first eggs I've been getting have had really pale yolks, but hope that putting them on a layer ration will help that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by