One hen plucking the other?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by THLG, Aug 4, 2014.

1. THLG

THLG Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    I just have a pair of hens (supposedly Ameraucana -- one modeled brown with rusty head, one all white).

All of the sudden the brown one is missing all her saddle feathers. (no blood, or open wound)

I haven't seen any pecking, but I assume it's the other (white) hen that is responsible.

Can I do anything to make the first one taste bad?

Or, is that a silly question?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have never had any luck with those nasty tasting ointments put on feathers. Seems that my chickens enjoy the taste of these things. LOL But you might try expanding on their area to keep them from being aggressive. Give them things to do...seed pecking blocks, hanging veggies, mirrors, ramps, let them out to free range, etc...You can separate the bully for a while, but generally once they are aggressive, no amount of separation changes the personality.

I have a mean hen that I had to resort to using pinless peepers on. She was brutal with the hens. Pinless peepers do not allow the bird to see directly in front of them to aim and fire off the beak. So it stops them from plucking feathers.

Here is my hen in her eye wear...
    [​IMG]

If your hen has bare skin showing, you will need to use a saddle on her or use blu-kote on her skin so the others don't bother her newly growing feathers...http://www.hensaver.com

Good luck and I hope you can get this solved soon!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 boredom busters are a great way to stop bullying behaviors. Hanging treats, dirt, leaves, lots of space, stumps and mirrors are all great.

Saddles and pinless peepers are also something you should look into.

Good luck!

4. THLG

THLG Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Looks like a saddle apron (no stitch) is the for sure method without much fuss! I like that. Thanks guys!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good advice from the other members. I would also spray the pecked area on your hen with Blue Kote Wound Dressing. Not only will it help heal any injuries she might have and disguise any blood that might be there, but the bad taste usually does discourage other birds from pecking at the area. If you are not familiar with Blue Kote, you can see it at http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_kote_wound_dressing.html. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hen.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Are you sure she's not molting?
    Are there a lot of feathers around the coop?
    What percentage of protein are you feeding?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. THLG

THLG Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Green legs would indicate probable Easter Eggers.
    I don't see any blood, that's a good sign...tho Whitey looks interested lol.

Other questions still pertain.

[​IMG]

10. ckickenlov101

ckickenlov101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    I think they might be eating eachothers feathers because they lack the proper nutrition in their diet or she might be pulling out her feathers to relive heself because she has mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by