One hen quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady_Grey, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Lady_Grey

Lady_Grey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    I've got a 7 month old Araucana that has stopped laying - I don't think I've seen an egg out of her for a couple weeks at least. There haven't been any major changes in their environment, she isn't molting, she isn't broody, the feed is adequate, there's nowhere for her to hide the eggs if she is laying, and I should think that if she was egg-bound for that long she'd also be feeling pretty rotten if not dead, but she's behaving normally. She *is* near or at the bottom of the peck order (no tail feathers left, and part of the muff gone, poor cluck), but she's always been like that, so I don't see why it should suddenly affect her laying. And she was so faithful with the daily egg earlier! What should I look for?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

It's the time of year. We have over 40 chickens & are lucky if we get 2 eggs a day right now. My most reliable girl, Bertha, hasn't laid in 2-1/2 weeks, but I did notice a LOT of her feathers in the coop in the last few days, and then I noticed she is starting to look a little ragged. I think she stopped laying & has subsequently started molting.

If you are in north America, the decreasing amount of daylight may also be a contributing factor.

I am sure she is healthy and will be fine. Hang in there. [​IMG]

ETA: If she's an araucana, she should be rumpless and not have any tail feathers anyway.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. Lady_Grey

Lady_Grey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks! I've been lighting the coop, though, so shouldn't that keep her in business? The others are still laying pretty well (not great - 10-14 eggs daily out of 21, but okay).

She's not a purebred Araucana, I think. She used to have tail feathers, and her sister still does; but now she's just got this pathetic nekkid pink tail sticking out of her rump feathers that the other birds are determined to keep bare.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My BA stopped laying 2 weeks before it was apparent she was beginning her molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by