One hen roosting in tree, rest in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by franko, Oct 22, 2011.

1. franko

franko Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    I have one hen that will not go into the coop when dark comes. I get her out of the tree and then herd her into the coop every night. The rest of the flock go right in on their own. I don't know how to change where she likes to roost. I tried giving treats in the coop and the rest of the flock come running, but she stays in the tree. Any thoughts?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have a dog crate that you can use to lock her in the coop for a week or so? You need to re-program her little brain to get her to consider the coop as home. Trees are dangerous places for chickens at night, as I'm sure you know.

Is she being picked on? Could that be why she doesn't want to go in the coop at night?

3. franko

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    Yes, I have a crate but I'm not sure what you mean about leaving her in it.
    At night or during the day? I let them out to free range in the afternoon till dark. She's not being picked on. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If the chickens insist on being difficult we only show them the coop so many times. We have a few who choose to roost in trees and bushes rather than in the coop. She'll only do it on the wrong night once. [​IMG]

5. franko

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    Your right about that. I sure don't want to lose her

6. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    I have a rescue hen, Gladys, who would roost in a tree in my yard. I lured her into the coop with treats, and when she figured that out, I'd have to force her out of the tree and pick her up and put her in the coop. Not pleasant for either of us.

I got a lot of recommendations here for a lockdown. I put Gladys in the coop, day and night, for 3 days. On the first day out, she headed for the tree at 4pm. So I put her back in the coop for another 3 days. That time, when I let her out, she started for the tree and I herded her in the direction of the coop. She looked at the coop, cocked her head to one side and *bing* the light went on in her little chicken brain. She marched right into the coop, up the ladder and went to her roost.

Now, like clockwork, she goes to the coop at dusk.

Lock her down. It works. I didn't believe it, but now I'm convinced. I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

7. franko

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    Good. Today she starts the lockdown. Thanks, and I will post the results in a few days.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Good luck. Chickens aren't bright creatures, but they are creatures of habit. Force them into a habit and it will usually stick.

9. franko

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    Well, I don't know what to say. I tried the lock down and no luck. Every night I go out to lock the gate to the hen house and sure enough that same hen is up in the tree next to the coop. I started pushing her out of the tree with a broom handle and now when she sees me coming she flies out of the tree and runs into the coop. So, I guess that's how it going to stay.

10. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:I've got new hampshires that figured out the coop thing in two nights... and a pair of black sex links that insist on roosting outside. I think the sex links meet your criteria. one of these days I expect I'll only have the new hampsires. [​IMG] I'm opting for smarter chickens in the future, not putting energy into the difficult ones.

if the crate training doesn't work, it may be something you have to keep fighting with her over... or you can let it be...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by