One hen suddenly not perching or laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mary vh, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mary vh

mary vh New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    This was discussed in another post but my case is a bit different. I have three hens and one started loosing feathers and stopped laying a couple weeks ago so I think she's molting (sp) but a couple days ago she also stopped getting on the perch and roosts on the floor of the coop. She's 3 or 4 years old, bared rock, seems too young to be "at the end of her life" but is that possible?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I've heard of hens living and laying up to 7, 8, 10 years. It depends on things like the breeding stock, the hen's quality of life and care received, general health etc. Apart from her molting and not perching, is she showing any outward sign of something being amiss? Is she acting different in any way? Eating, drinking, poop normal?

3. mary vh

mary vh New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. She seems fine in all other respects (dealing with mites so her legs are a little crusty) energy, eating and drinking are normal. The 'girls' are well taken care of so maybe it's just part of the molting phase?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by