1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One hen suddenly stopped laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phatchicken, Jan 25, 2009.

1. phatchicken

phatchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Howdy - I am new to the forum, and have been reading with interest the many questions/answers about egg-laying; or lack there of! However, nothing really has answered my question about dear Loretta...

I went out of town for the weekend, had a friend come over and tend the "girls," Loretta laid an egg Sat. and has not laid since! She isn't molting (as far as I can see) and doesn't seem to be broody, she looks and acts completely normal except she isn't producing. She normally is a great layer so if anyone has any ideas - let me know! Thanks - Oh, I do have a light...

2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    [​IMG]

I don't have an answer but I would imagine it would be helpful to get the breed and age because some breeds lay right through the low-light winters and others seem to slack.

I have a similar situation with my Blue Andalusian. She used to lay like clockwork but one day my 2 youngest dogs tag-teamed her and really roughed her up but did not pierce her skin. I brought her in and cleaned her up, she layed an egg within one hour and I think one more egg the next day and not one egg since and that has been 2 or 3 months now. I keep hoping that as we get more daylight minutes that maybe it will trigger her reproductive system but who knows.

Whatever it is, she ain't talkin! LOL

3. phatchicken

phatchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks! She is about a year old...an Amaracauna/Brahama cross...since I posted, she has laid three nice eggs, but I did notice the shells were pretty thin for her...hummm. Oh well, like you said - they ain't talkin'!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by