One hen won't got to roost??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RBOutdoors, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    First off we are 98% free range. I have a homemade hen spa that the crews sleeps in and that is where I keep the feed and water.

It rained all day and night yesterday so I was lazy and didn't go pen them up. This morning I was up right at dawn and one rooster of out already going crowing like crazy ( I don't know if that is normal cause I sleep like a log). Thought it was weird so I checked the roost and I was missing one hen and there where a lot feathers (but they were not the right color for the hen I was missing). Upon looking around I found the missing hen about 50 yards from the pen and she was sitting in the top of a fallen tree. Now I go pen up the chickens tonight and the same hen is sitting in the spot I found her this morning. I am afraid she will get eaten. Why didn't she pen up? I noticed her out with the other chickens today so I don't think she is broody (even though i don't really know what that means).

Any thoughts? If I could get to her I would, and just put her on the roost with the other chickens.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Bribe her with treats to come down. Mine know the sound of corn shaking in a bucket and come running.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi RBOutdoors:

Is it possible this little hen is being picked on by the others? Sort of an outcast?

You are right to worry that she is very vulnerable being out all night by herself.

You said "if you could get her" which I take to mean she is not approachable in terms of holding her.

What often works with birds like that is to go after them at night when they seem less likely to bolt. If you can get your hands on her, certainly put her back into the coop. This may be risky if she is an outcast, but right now she is bait for the next predator that comes along.

Geri

4. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    I haven't noticed any picking because they all hang out together. When I said I can't get to her I mean she is too high up for me to get. I will watch tomorrow and make sure there is no picking going on. Even if there is picking what can I do about it? these hens are 8 months old and have been together from day 1. i did however add 2 roosters 2.5 months ago.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Some hens just like to roost outdoors. I had a Columbian Rock that would roost in a tree inside the lot. I started putting her up early so that she would roost in the coop with the other girls then she caught on to my time line and started going up in the tree before I got home from work. She stayed out there through both rain and snow storms but finally the inevitable happened and she was taken by a predator.

If you can keep her in the coop for awhile to get her used to roosting inside you may be able to break her...if not, sooner or later she is going to be killed.

Good luck!

6. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    Now it is one hen and one rooster. I tried to pen up the rooster but he just didn't wanna go. He must have gotten whooped too many times.

7. RBOutdoors

Sep 4, 2009
    My pens is movable, so I moved it ten feet to fresh grass and now everyone is back inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by