one huge black cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rhoda_bruce, Dec 7, 2009.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Has anyone, particularly in the southern states ever seen a huge black cat? I am speaking of a cat about 3 feet....body only, which would be more like 5 1/2 feet from paw to paw, with a 30 inch tail. It doesn't appear often apparently.
    My brother saw it before I did and I didn't even believe him, although I didn't tell him he was full of it. And then I saw it and I don't think anyone believes me either....except my brother. Its been a while, but when I consider protection for my yard and coop, I remember that huge cat. It was so fast and when it leaped, it was almost perfectly straight, as it headed right into MY YARD!!![​IMG] It must have jumped at least 7 feet right in front of my vehicle.
    Please, somebody tell a similar story, so I have something to go by, so less people think I'm nuts.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
  3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    im in KY and my friend swares she saw one as a kid walk through her yard.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Thankyou both. [​IMG]

5. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:I didn't believe my friend until I saw that program.

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    there was some kind of huge cat like that around here. The neighbor kept on seeing it and I only caught a glimpse of it. But some of the other neighbors saw it too.

7. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    we have black Mt lions around here my mother saw one and my uncle saw one a few days later up north of my place about 75 miles

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Mountain lions are making a comeback everywhere. The old timers in my area swear there are a few around in the backwoods here in NH. I hope not. That's the one thing I don't have to worry about eating my birds.

9. LuggNutt

LuggNutt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
  10. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I had a cougar run in front of my car not long ago, and we occasionally here it scream - so it has taken up residence somewhere not far away. It wouldn't surprise me that you saw a black color variation of a cougar. However, you are also down in the south, where jaguars used to roam. There is definitely a black color variety of the jaguar, and jaguar have once again been seen in Texas in recent years.

Of course, the easiest explanation (assuming you are no more nuts than I am) is that you saw someone's escaped exotic pet.

IMHO! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by