1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One huge wood-pecker!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by countrygirl4513, Jan 3, 2008.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I have got a huge woodpecker nailing the heck out of my Cataboa tree. He has made 4 huge holes big enough to stick your fist in. And he is monstrous in size. I've never seen one so large. I've wrapped the holes with netting but he acts like there's nothing there at all. Anyone got any history on these aggravating buggers? Is he drilling for bugs or what? I've tried to get a pic of him but he flies off as soon as he hears the door open up.Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He is after bugs, which means your tree is already infested with something, and may be not as healthy as it looks from outside.

We have those huge woodpeckers here also.
    They are quite loud when they start calling to each other.

4. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    You can tell if its a Pileated lated Woodpecker by the sound it makes, which sounds like you have monkeys in your yard!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Wanna hear something really cool. Last yr we had a washington state woodpecker in our new jersey back yard. Is that normal for a bird from that are to fly over here?

6. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    yep that's the one. I've heard their calls, they are loud. He has sure made a mess of my tree. wonder if he has totally killed the tree now?

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    He is eating the bugs which were likely damaging your tree. Unlike the which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the- egg, in this case, the bugs came, started damaging your tree, and then along came Woody Woodpecker.......
    JJ

8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    [​IMG]

"Why's everybody looking at ME?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by