One in every crowd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homeinspectorman, Jul 21, 2010.

1. homeinspectorman

homeinspectorman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Oklahoma, Durant
    Out of 10 young ladies at least six are starting to lay. Most of the time it is in one of the nest boxes. Our first egg was found in the fern pot on the front porch. Finally caught the culprit. Any suggestions on how to convince this one to use the coop / nest box?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    That is too cute!

I am in no way an expert (my girls arn't laying yet) but...

Do you have a way of blocking off access to this pot? Maybe putting some plywood on top of it for right now until she gets used to laying in a box? Do you have fake nest eggs in your boxes?

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Awwww, what a beautiful porch ornament! [​IMG]

Really though, I'd suggest exactly what SCG suggested, block it off for now. I had crazy pullets laying all over the place until I tried the old golf-ball-in-the-nest trick, worked like a charm!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ummmmm..... I guess I'm an indulgent keeper of chickens. What's wrong with that location??? I find it adorable. At least you know where to look for eggs!

Hidden nest(s) in my yard so far have been at the base of a tree growing next to the water heater enclosure
    [​IMG]
    and I nixed that location as not being as secure as the pullets considered it.
    [​IMG]

That one was on the side of the house, not in the back yard. Still within the entire fenced acre, but seemed like someplace that might draw raccoons or 'possums or skunks lookin' fer eggs.
    [​IMG]

The other spot was under the Adirondack chair in the back yard - pretty darned secure but not very convenient for ME to gather the eggs.

At least that urn means no bending over to gather the egg(s) and it sure is a pretty picture!

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I think that it's pretty great that you get egg delivery right outside your front door. [​IMG]

6. homeinspectorman

homeinspectorman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Oklahoma, Durant
    Have golf balls in the nest boxes. "Someone" managed to move one out of her box and into the next door spot.

I am old enough to remember front porch milk deliveries, but eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by