One is getting her tail feathers plucked by the others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahMac54, May 15, 2019.

1. SarahMac54

SarahMac54 In the Brooder

May 15, 2019
    Pembroke, MA
    PLease help! I have 6 chickens . We are new to raising them - Got them on Saturday- They ar 1 month old. They are in the brooding box still. All has been going well but tonight one is bleeding with tail feathers
    plucked out. Do I separate her?
    I only have one warming light What do I do?????

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @SarahMac54 :frow Welcome To BYC
    Can you post some photos of the chick and your brooder set-up?

How much space is in the brooder and where are you keeping the brooder?

Can you tell if it's just a broken pin feather that has been bleeding or is there broken skin/damage as well?

3. SarahMac54

May 15, 2019
    Pembroke, MA
    I have a large rubbermaid set up with some roosts and food and water. All has been well so far. Before I went up I noticed one looked weird. Then I saw that a few were pecking at her tail and I realized that the feathers there were gone. A few followed her around pecking at her so I had to take her out. I picked her up and stroked her and she has blood from having her feathers plucked. I made a cardboard partition within the brooder box to separate her while i figure out what to do. I have to go to work in the morning and don't want her to be dead when I get home!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Good idea to make a partition. You want to make sure it's high enough that she can't jump out - at 1 month old they can jump and fly.

Do you have your coop/run ready? If you do, then you may want to consider finishing up brooding them outside in the coop so they have more space. Feather picking can be from lack of space, boredom and sometimes nutritional deficiency.

hispoptart and Kathy Golla like this.
  5. SarahMac54

May 15, 2019
    Pembroke, MA
    Here's her tail. Sorry Brooder pic stinks pecked.jpg brooder.jpg

6. SarahMac54

May 15, 2019
    Pembroke, MA
    Maybe I can find a larger container? THis was biggest one we could find that was deep enough. We are having crazy cold temps for this time of year, and they aren't fully feathered yet. I had to make the partition. She can't be under attack like that. I tried putting her back in a few minutes ago and it started again. The partition goes all the way up to the screen so that works for now. Now I worry that when I put them back together it will be challenging, but I need to give her a rest and a break. So much to learn! I know they don't like to be separated. How long can I leave her like that while I figure out a better plan? Next I will have to figure out how to reintroduce her. Thanks for your help!

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would try to get them outside as soon as possible - does the coop have electricity so you can set up a heating pad system or very secured heat lamp?

If that is not possible, then it would be a good idea to provide a larger space for them - a refrigerator box or a series of large boxes taped together.

I would not keep her separated too long - yes, you may have to re-integrate her. A wire barrier would be better so they can all see each other. I would also watch her closely that she does not overheat since she doesn't have much room to get to a cooler spot.

8. SarahMac54

May 15, 2019
    Pembroke, MA
    Great ideas. Can I leave the cardboard for tonight and add a wire partition tomorrow or should I cut a few windows in it before I go to bed? Sorry to have so many questions!

9. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    If they're still in the brooder after a month I'm willing to bet it's too small. Should be at least 6 sqft, and that's not including the space taken up by the food and water. They're probably getting aggressive from overcrowding.

Clean the blood up and put some blukote on the raw area so it's not a target for continued attacks.

If I ever have to give anyone a butt bath for pasty butt I do it right before they all go to sleep so they won't notice and mess with the wet bum.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    No I wouldn't cut any windows in that, I would be afraid that she would stick her head through and the others would peck her head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: