One last question on DE before I buy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrsgibber, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I've read many people say that DE helps to:

1. Keep the flies down
    2. Keep the poo from smelling too bad

Is this from adding the DE to the chicken feed or from just from sprinkling it in the coop bedding?

Thanks!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    That's from sprinkling it on the bedding.

3. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Ok, great. I'm not sure about adding it to their feed again. But I think my neighbors would appreciate it if I could keep the stink and flies down over the summer. [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I hear ya. My local farm store just started carrying DE, and I'm going to buy a bag before summer hits and all the flies come.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I was always a big proponent of DE, until I read an article recently in Backyard Poultry magazine. It was very interesting, and gave research indicating it may not be the best product to use...it did say that ANY time you use it, make SURE you are wearing a mask. I don't recall the reasons why they indicated it might be harmful...I'll go see if I can find it and update this post.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  7. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:I have that issue and read the article as well. That is why I jumped on the forum a couple weeks back to take a little DE poll. From all I have read it shouldn't be harmful in small quantities and I only plan to use it a bit in their coop bedding to keep the poo odor/flies down.

I also read a recent post this week I think about there not being a large enough concentration in the componet of concern to cause any problems.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    DE does work well to keep things dry and odor down; I don't have much of an odor problem, as I change my shavings frequently. But, I also do sprinkle DE on the coop floor before adding new shavings. I also like that if you sprinkle it in the corners of a wooden coop, it helps keep parasites at bay....I have never had an issue with parasites (KNOCK WOOD), so I don't know if that's the reason or not, but I'll keep doing it.

9. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I am faithful about changing my shavings weekly too. So much so that I am trying to break the habit of picking out the poo daily which is what I was doing from the early days to keep the cocci away. My pullets are spoiled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by