One last question regarding flooring then I build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RiddleMe, Mar 16, 2011.

1. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ok, I've about planned this thing to death, drawn out all my options, and am ready to build! I just can't make this last decision, I keep going back and forth - do I go with framed construction with a vinyl covered wood floor or pole construction with a compacted gravel -> sand "floor"? It just seems like the gravel/sand base is more "natural", but maybe not as effective for predator proofing, even with a good wire underlay? I'm planning to use shavings on top of either floor, I use them for my horse's run-through and have plenty on hand. I'd really like to hear from folks who have used both re the pros/cons.

Just the facts - I'm located in Central Oregon, high-desert, semi-arid climate, so nothing too extreme re temps or rain. Building a 12x10 shed in an area with good drainage away from the site.

2. KazAnder Farms

KazAnder Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Machias, WA
    We went with a raised wooden floor with framed construction. Easy to put up lasts well in the northwestern climate, some friends of ours have done the compacted gravel thing, without a wire mesh underneath the gravel you run the risk of weasels burrowing through. Long as you keep that in mind you should be peachy. Also it's much easier to scoop out a smooth floor, vs a gravel floor.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is rain/water drainage an issue where you live? A raised coop is less likely to flood than one right on the ground.

4. RiddleMe

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Quote:This site doesn't have any drainage issues - I have a 3-sided run through (pole construction) for my horse just down slope from where I'm going to build my coop, it has a sand floor and stays dry year round, even with the "missing" wall. There is a PT 2x8 across the front to keep bedding in, but the interior sand is actually slightly lower than grade in some areas, just because of hoof traffic. Whether I go with frame or pole, I was going to drop a load of sand in the run area before I get the wire up, so I don't have to wheel it in after the fact. I imagine over time chickens will wear down the area, maybe not as quick as a hoof, but with all that scratching...

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Remember that "natural" tends to involve mud, holes getting dug, and predators and rats being able to come in... [​IMG]

OTOH a raised floor means a space underneath that predators/rats can potentially use to lurk while they work their way in, and you do not get the advantage of the ground's thermal mass.

Personally, if I were building another coop at the moment and money was no object, I would do a slab floor or at least a compacted gravel/screenings floor with 2x2' concrete pavers on it.

Of the other two options (the ones you mention), I do not think there is an overall better or worse; merely "different".

If you are totally on the fence about the tradeoffs, pick whichever you would least hate to have to build <g>

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. RiddleMe

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I am TOTALLY on the fence [​IMG] I actually though my mind was made up, laid out and leveled my concrete blocks, then stopped to go back and do more reading! I'm equally comfortable with frame and pole construction, the roof is the hardest part (getting that plywood up there!), and they'll have the same roof. I'm avoiding a slab as I don't want to have to pay someone to come in and don't want to bury my first concrete attempt under a building, but I like your idea of the pavers. Because of the lumber I have collected so far, the cost of the two is pretty close, so I'm really curious about cleaning/maintenance, and if there's any real difference.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are a neatnik or enjoy hosing things out, I would recommend a raised wood floor over dirt. If you do not mind natural processes occurring in your coop, and can cope with having some composting going on in the ground under the floor and doing remediation of holes or damp spots as necessary, then a dirt floor is fine.

Pat

8. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I have a wooden floor with vinyl flooring. SOOOO easy to clean. I do the deep litter method, and use a grain shovel to clean it out. Since the floor is smooth, and kinda non-stick, it's really easy. And that's saying something, I'm 5'0", and weigh around 115.

JMHO
    Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by