One last round of advice before I go through with this....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JEB NC 10, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    OK...so I believe that my Golden Comet is broody - sleeping in the nestbox and staying in the coop on the nest around 75% of the day as well. The only time she's not on the nest is when I let them out of their run to roam around the backyard in the evenings for about an hour or so. I've only had my hens since February of this year - 3 Golden Comets and last month I added an EE. The GCs are 11 months old, and the EE is 10 months old. The GC that I believe to be broody went through a minor molt in March and only began laying again around the first week of May.

So, I think I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and will probably be ordering some fertilized eggs tomorrow - barring any advice to the contrary here. My questions are:

1 - The temp around here (western NC) has consistantly stayed in high 80s to mid 90s with the heat index reaching 100 for the past 2 weeks. With the temps that high, would it still be "safe" for her to leave the nest for an hour or so in the evenings to free range in the backyard?

2 - How many eggs would be a good number? I'm thinking 6 would be fine (for me) as we're not doing this to get more chickens. Primarily, it's so the hen can hatch out some chicks (since apparently she wants to) and there's also the educational angle for my 4 year old daughter.

3 - Do the eggs a broody is sitting on need to be turned, and does the broody know to do that?

4 - And lastly, given a GC's natural tendancy not to go broody, if she decides not to see this hatching process through (and I was able to catch it in time), could the eggs be put in an incubator for the remaining time and still have a somewhat successful hatch?

So, help me out! Do I go through with it or should I just try to break her of her broodiness?

Thanks all!

- Joe

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    1 - The temp around here (western NC) has consistantly stayed in high 80s to mid 90s with the heat index reaching 100 for the past 2 weeks. With the temps that high, would it still be "safe" for her to leave the nest for an hour or so in the evenings to free range in the backyard?

The warmer the weather the longer thet stay off the nest when broody. In the heat of last summer I had one that spent a lot of time with her buddies during he day and she still did OK.

2 - How many eggs would be a good number? I'm thinking 6 would be fine (for me) as we're not doing this to get more chickens. Primarily, it's so the hen can hatch out some chicks (since apparently she wants to) and there's also the educational angle for my 4 year old daughter.

Six is a great number. Instead of ordering fertile eggs, you might want to discuss this on this thread. You might find somebody local that has hatching eggs. Much better than shipping eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=91762

3 - Do the eggs a broody is sitting on need to be turned, and does the broody know to do that?

The broody will take care of everything.

4 - And lastly, given a GC's natural tendancy not to go broody, if she decides not to see this hatching process through (and I was able to catch it in time), could the eggs be put in an incubator for the remaining time and still have a somewhat successful hatch?

Yes, they can go in an incubator.

You might want to read through this thread. It might help you.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Good luck!

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    The reason I'm settling on 6 eggs is that I'm figuring a 50% hatch rate and I have room for another 3 or 4 hens. I have already made plans if I have a higher success rate and for any cockerals I end up with.

Also, thanks for the heads-up warning Re: the USPS and their shipping! I'm currently looking for a more local source. I'm in Hickory, NC.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by