One left, now what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Crowberry1982, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Crowberry1982

Crowberry1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    So, yesterday I lost 4 out of 5 chickens. I don't know what got them but I'm thinking a fox or coyote (feathers everywhere, no bodies). The one that is left seems to be depressed. I'm going to order more chicks but they won't come till mid July at the local feed store. Should I try to find this one a friend till then or just let her be alone? She is out in the pasture with my horse but I'm not sure she sees him as a friend....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually, people either find another mature bird or find a flock for the lone chicken to go to. They seem to do better in a flock.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

How about setting up running electric fence around the pasture (you have posts set already) and let the foxes test it and learn, that way you would only loose 1 bird rather than letting them test it with a whole new flock to kill.

Please don't fool yourself that he won't come back. That meal was too easy not to come back. Or lock them in a run.

4. Crowberry1982

Crowberry1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm sure it will be back. I'm working on getting the electic fence set up around the coop. It is all electric fencing out there, but it's high enough that I'm sure he/she just ducked under it. I'm going to have to lock the one chick left in the fence around the coop (it's actually a 12x12 chainlink dog kennel with a big coop in it thats up off the ground about 2 feet), I was just letting them run so the could eat bugs. They just loved being out so much so I let them run. It's my own fault lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by