One legged chick / broken ankle!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heyheypaula, Mar 20, 2013.

1. heyheypaula

heyheypaula Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    Hello all,

I took home a couple Tractor Supply rejects today... One is a very young red sex link chick that appears to have broken it's ankle right above the foot and it's using it as a stump. At first glance she appears to be missing her foot. She seems to be gimping around okay and I'm hoping she'll grow up and learn to hop around okay without her foot. I'm going to look into prosthetics as well as to not stress her good leg. She is going to be one spoiled little lady for sure. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other little guy is a duckling with a pretty extreme head tilt. According to google and some people here it looks like "Wry/Rye" Neck and can hopefully be treated with some vitamin drops that I will be picking up ASAP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. heyheypaula

Feb 6, 2013
    Day three update:
    The chick isn't doing so well... I thought she died the night before but she moved the littlest bit so I warmed her up and force-fed her sugar water and she made a huge improvement! Eagerly drinking water, peeping, pooping and moving around a little. Today she is the same. I picked up some Poly Vi Sol without iron and put it in the water for both the chick and the duckling. The chick is doing okay, but I can't get her to eat and she isn't as strong as she could or should be. She isn't as strong as she was the first day I brought her home for sure. If anyone has any advice on what to feed her or how to get her to eat I would appreciate it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Marynash88

Marynash88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    following! I picked up a couple of TS rejects too. They begged me to take them. One is a red sex link with no visible injuries but it's left food is obviously wring BC she hugs it to her body and she won't even attempt to sit up. Wondering if there was Internal injuries from being trampled on. The other is a straight run black bantam. Her/his foot was pecked at and they wouldn't leave her alone. The guy already put something on her foot. Really worried about the sex link chick tho =(

4. heyheypaula

Feb 6, 2013

Good luck with your chick! Unfortunately my little one legged chick didn't make it :( She died today. The duckling is doing great though!

[​IMG]

5. Marynash88

Marynash88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    The chick died just a few hours later. But I was still happy that she was able to die peacefully and not being trampled on. The lil bantam is doing fantastic and my hub is in complete love with him. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by