one legged chick unable to walk, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Epent12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Epent12

Epent12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia
    I have a one legged chick, it's leg is injured by rat I guess, at first it's just broken, but now it's already gone, it's unable to walk because only have one leg, what should I do? Buy him a nionic leg?

2. lshytle

lshytle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Make sure that he is extremely comfortable and make sure to give him niacin to promote healthy bones. Then, when it is a little older, take him to the vet. If you are leaving them outside, make sure you bring him inside into a brooder. It will be much safer. Best of luck!

- Lily

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Oh no, I would make sure the wound is clean apply antibiotic without any pain killer in it don't cover the wound if you can. Bring him in make sure the surface isn't slippery so the chick can get a grip with the good foot. I put a cheap sandpaper on the flooring when ours were babies so they wouldn't slide on the bottom of the dog crate.

If he is shocky keep warm, electrolytes, probiotics, food and water within reach. You may need to use an eyedropper to give fluids if refusing. How old is the Chick?

I have seen several threads on here about disabled birds missing eyes, blind, wing loss, loss of toes, amputated legs. They are doing fine just need some extra help, lower roost, seperate area with a buddy. A Great Uncle had a one legged rooster that was still able to do his rooster duties and lived for 9 years. He died in his sleep found curled on his sleeping box. His progeny were escape artists.

So have hope that he/she will thrive.

4. Epent12

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia
    thanks lily, :D it's fine now he/she can walk a lil bit by flapping his/her wings but still.. It's difficult to walk for him/her

5. Epent12

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia
    his/her wound cured, but I'm afraid that he/she'll have a difficult life, at the fisrt time I found out that his/her leg is injured, I placed him/her in a baby incubator, I even stroke him/her everyday to make him/her feels loved and safe

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If the wound has healed,then your chick should be fine. Birds missing legs usually use their wings for balance. It is possible for a birds missing a leg to live a happy life(search forums,you will see there are many birds with one leg)just make sure you predator proof your coop as chick will be an easy target(this includes rats) Make sure chick is able to get to feed/water bowls.

You posted chicks leg may be broken,then mentioned chicks leg was gone,what happened to leg?

7. Epent12

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia
    yea, darn rats! Yea the leg is kinda broken and then it turned black over days and then it gone by itself, I dunno where it was but he/she's healed now :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by